Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problems - things are dying!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Electrical problems - things are dying!!!

I'm having problems with an `00 A4, 2 months ago the airbag control unit was replaced (at almost $800), also the battery was replaced after it died ... now the wipers, turn signals, and heater fan do not work ... the rear defrost and heated seats work partially.
The headlights, both high & low, 4 ways, windows, brake lights and radio work ... except for "Run like hell" constantly scrolling on the screen ... is it an omen?
The voltage has fluctuated upto 16.
The turn signals were able to operate when turning the heater off ... but now, nothing and the fan indicator is sporadic.
All fuses look fine.

Any ideas? I'm going to have the altinator checked after work. It seems like there has been an electrical gremlin in this from the beginning.
Please, help ... it's going to be raining any day which will make driving without wipers ... well [:'(][:@]

Thanks
Ken

Old 01-17-2006, 10:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Electrical problems - things are dying!!!

alternator is a must in the check list.
I would also check out the fuses.

Good luck driving in the rain... if you have nothing on the windshield... try some wax (wax for the body of car) on the windshield... It helps keep the water off.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:35 PM

ignition switch

Old 01-17-2006, 10:35 PM
2nd Gear

Has the car ever been flooded? I had a beater that was flooded and it did all sorts of neat electrical stuff.
The horn would work only when left blinker was on, and some thigs would work one day, then not the next and then work again.
Check the alternator though.
Check the battery too, i have had a new battery that did not work right, had a collapsed cell.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: mastvadz71

ignition switch
I can tell you from much frustration with electrical problems that it's probably not the ignition switch. Sounds to me that if you're surging around 16 volts that the alternator is definitely a candidate. I've also heard of frayed wires causing problems like this, which is what happened to me awhile back. Tracking down electrical problems isn't really that hard if you know what you're doing, it's just really really time consuming and frustrating. I mean, really the only problem is that somewhere the circuit is broken and it shouldn't be too hard to isolate the problem with a test light and voltmeter. I'd start studying the wiring diagrams for the wipers and go from there. Let me know if you need any more help...I ran into this a few months back and learned how to chase down electrical problems, so I'm all too familiar with it. [:@]

Old 01-17-2006, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

Never flooded ... garage kept.
Checked the bat & alt ... both checked out OK

Thanks,
Ken

Old 01-17-2006, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

get that rainx **** and put a ton on so u can drive in the ran, i love the **** i makes me feel like im in the millenium falcon and im travling at light speed, sorry that i really didnt ahve any input

Old 01-18-2006, 08:23 AM
4th Gear

Run a vagcom for codes.

Check the voltage with a digital volt meter, the car on, and all accessories off. If you are getting voltage over about 14.1 volts, you need a new voltage regulator.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

Is the voltage reg built into the alt or is it separate? I had the bat and alt checked last night and they said they where both fine.

Thanks for the info!
Ken

Old 01-20-2006, 12:28 AM
1st Gear

Thanks! It was the relay ... one of the contacts broke off.

Thanks again,
Ken

Quick Reply: Electrical problems - things are dying!!!