Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGT Guage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:33 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default EGT Guage?

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about cars. While on the turbo subject, he recommendedthat I shouldhave an EGT guage installed in my A4, just something to let me know how hot the exhaust gas is while driving and before shutting the engine off. It sounds like a good idea to me, does anyone here have this installed?

Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: EGT Guage?

Not really necessary with just a chip. Id consider it with a BT though. From what i know they are expensive and a pita to install. Would be fun to have though.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:26 AM
5th Gear

i had one you can just buy one from automoter and install it yourself...... its really not nessicary i just liked to see how hot it was mainly to see how long to let her cool off

Old 01-08-2007, 12:55 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

i had one you can just buy one from automoter and install it yourself...... its really not nessicary i just liked to see how hot it was mainly to see how long to let her cool off
Exactly, the other day when I got home from work. Parked the car and let it idle for over a minute and turned the engine off. I lifted the hood and noticed a the turbo still glowing orange.

Badluckaudi, where was your guage located?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Administrator

It's not a bad idea at all, especially on a 1.8T - knowing your EGT measurements can give you a handle on what's going on inside the engine with respect to fuel mixtures. Widely held knowledge says that unless you're running a wideband (5 wire) heated O2 sensor, an air/fuel gauge isn't going to be all that accurate for you (it'll give you a very general idea of what's going on, but it's too slow in reacting to really rely on, and way too inaccurate for tuning purposes). Having an EGT gauge is a more reliable way to keep tabs on your A/F mixture than, say, using a typical A/F gauge. Not a bad idea at all. The b*tch of it is that you need to drill your downpipe and tap it (or have a bung welded in) so that you can install the temp probe. More of an aggravation really than a truly difficult install (at least on most cars - my buddy's SRT4 would be a notable exception given the placement of the turbo between the engine and firewall), but I'd consider it on most any modified turbo car, and definitely on one with a BT kit installed. They're not cheap, but they're not horrendously expensive (maybe $100-200) when you compare them to the cost of a rebuild.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:18 AM
3rd Gear

yup, upstateNY said it all...

its the second best gauge you can have outside of a boost gauge. Its a very good gauge for tuning and while its really not necessary until you start getting decently modified, its a very good thing to have and it will allow you to possibly prevent a serious engine problem.

the DSM community is very well known with egt gauges and they are kind of a bia to install, its all worth it in the end.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:30 AM
5th Gear

I had a dual guage a pillar pod
ORIGINAL: socaljoe

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

Exactly, the other day when I got home from work. Parked the car and let it idle for over a minute and turned the engine off. I lifted the hood and noticed a the turbo still glowing orange.

Badluckaudi, where was your guage located?

Old 01-08-2007, 04:30 AM
Zombie Defense Force

wow funny we are talking about this...i just got my Zeitronix a/f, boost, and egt gauge in the mail. should be going in asap.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: Jeff

wow funny we are talking about this...i just got my Zeitronix a/f, boost, and egt gauge in the mail. should be going in asap.
lol..yeah, a friend of mine suggested the egt guage over the weekend. He has it in his Ford Excursion diesel turbo with Banks upgrades and he recommended me getting the gauge for my car

Take pics of yours and post them, I'm interested in seeing the gauge placements

and Thanks for all of your inputs guys, appreciate it