Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

easy fix for lcd screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM
5th Gear
Default easy fix for lcd screen

found this on audizine:

"Don’t let the Audi garages fool you; the whole cluster does not need changing. Mine did exactly the same thing, worse on hot days, better on cooler days. Audi also said change the cluster, I thought forget it! I took it out; there are 3 plugs on the back. Turn it over, there are a few torx screws, take those out, and loosen the black clips which hold the clear face to the rest of the cluster.
What happens is the LCD display glass has a thin ribbon cable on its right hand side that powers the display, the bonding/gluing on this ribbon cable comes loose, doesn't make proper contact that’s why the lines come and go.
Over the top of the display is a metal cover plate held on by 4 legs bent on the back of the pc board. Straighten these, and it comes off. WORK GENTLY!!!
Then you can remove the LCD glass. Be careful; don't loose the 2 pieces of plastic behind the LCD glass. IT WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT BOTH OF THESE.
Then, either take the LCD panel to a good electronic company to re-bond the ribbon cable for you, or find a place that makes and sells LCD displays.
Don't worry about the codes either, so long as you disconnect the cluster with the ignition off, once you plug it back, everything will work fine.

I did mine myself, just added 2 extra strips of thin rubber strip behind the LCD on either side, and made the metal cover press down slightly harder on the ribbon cable so it makes better contact, and it works perfectly. All in all, an hour or so work."
there's a pretty good write-up in the thread too- http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160911

Old 09-27-2007, 02:00 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: easy fix for lcd screen

REPOST! And it didn't work for me.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_644732/tm.htm

Josh

Old 09-27-2007, 02:08 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: easy fix for lcd screen

oh haha. never saw that thread. oh well

Old 09-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Default RE: easy fix for LCD screen

chaos is correct the thin strips on the LCD screen heat up and lose contact over time and normally by cleaning fluid when spraying to clean it ( the fluid gets into the strips and lifts them ) and you lose connections, im still trying to find the pictures for the procedure but what chaos is about right