Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno'd my car after the chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Dyno'd my car after the chip

I finally chipped my B7 A4. I went with APR 91 program only. I drove for about 3 weeks, then dyno'd it today at the same place where I had my baseline done. The results were ok. The numbers are actually lower than what APR claimed on their website. They claimed 232hp & 273 ft-lbs of torque with the 91 program. A picture of their dynamometer (on APR's website) looks to be the same type of dyno I used. However, my numbers were 196.4 hp & 254.6 ft-lbs of torque. I'm wondering if APR had other mods to get those numbers. BTW, I don't have any other engine mod except for the 91 program. Anyway, here is the dyno graph.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:11 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Dyno'd my car after the chip

something seems really off. a chip should add more than 3 hp

Old 11-18-2007, 04:13 AM
Administrator

OMG its vince, good to see you again
i bet APR dynoed a FWD car or somehting and had a really high correction %
but vince ur numbers arent wat they say corrected rite, where they adjust it to reflect the power to the crank instead of the wheels which makes things less accurate

Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

That's what I was thinking. Your dyno output is what the car makes at the wheels. APR likely lists the 230+ hp figure as a crank hp figure, since so many people still talk in terms of crank hp. Check the site again, and see if they claim their hp figure to be "hp" or "wheel hp/whp". That's going to make a big difference. And it wouldn't surprise me also if they did have a few other basic mods on the car (intake/DV/downpipe/exhaust - some or all of those would be likely).

Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear

different dyno's read differently as well, some are known to read high, others to read low...

can ufeel the newfound power?

Old 11-18-2007, 12:11 PM

I don't buy the correction factor story... if that were the case, the baseline numbers would be biased downwards as well. The fact remains that the peak HP change is negligible. It amazes me how much that thingfalls flat on its face beyond 4000 rpm. I'm sure that the car would feel faster in its revised state, but I would rather see a torque curve that was a bit flatter and longer, while sacrificing some of the top end...

thanks for posting.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

yeah dude thats abpout right, whats the stock crank hp for the b7? when i dynoed my b5, with the same chip it went from 150crank (aprox 115 wheel) to 155 wheels, and if you have what 190 stock crank hp, andwent to 193 wheel, thats about the s=exact same thing that happened top me, the AWD system takes a lot of power. but hey, thanks for dynoing, showed consistant results for both of us.

it still adds about 40hp to the wheels

Old 11-18-2007, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: The Russian

yeah dude thats abpout right, whats the stock crank hp for the b7? when i dynoed my b5, with the same chip it went from 150crank (aprox 115 wheel) to 155 wheels, and if you have what 190 stock crank hp, andwent to 193 wheel, thats about the s=exact same thing that happened top me, the AWD system takes a lot of power. but hey, thanks for dynoing, showed consistant results for both of us.

it still adds about 40hp to the wheels
I don't think you guys are getting it (or maybe I'm missing something)... he has the baseline numbers in the same chart! He went from 193.7hp to 196.4hp. I'm guessing those numbers are corrected whp numbers, but it doesn't change the fact that the numbers increased by 2.7hp.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: The Russian

but hey, thanks for dynoing, showed consistant results for both of us.
Like the dude above me said, the 193hp was his non-chipped awhp, not crank numbers. His awhp after the chip only rose to 196.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:11 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: TheMentat

I don't think you guys are getting it (or maybe I'm missing something)... he has the baseline numbers in the same chart! He went from 193.7hp to 196.4hp. I'm guessing those numbers are corrected whp numbers, but it doesn't change the fact that the numbers increased by 2.7hp.

exactly. he has his previous dyno results done on the exact same dyno shown as well. why would one be crank and the other be wheel? i could see this happening if he did it on 2 different dyno's, but not on the same one. if you look at the powerband his power is coming in a lot faster, and he did gain 40 ft lbs of torque but only 3 more max hp just doesn't seem right. i would contact apr and ask what the ***'s up

Quick Reply: Dyno'd my car after the chip