Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno vs. chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:43 AM
1st Gear
Default dyno vs. chip

So i have a "96 A4 and no one makes chips for my car as you guys might know(if i'm wrong please lemme know). I know a guy who owns a dyno shop so i'm wondering is getting my car dyno tuned is better or worse than getting a chip. Obviously its dyno or nothing but i'm curious to see what u guys know about the two. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:14 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: dyno vs. chip

Theres really not much you can tune on your car, dyno tuning it might make it run a bit better but probably isnt going to gain any power

Old 03-10-2006, 05:29 AM
1st Gear

is that why there are so few aftermarket products for my car? Did audi really design this car that well? cuz i want to do stuff to my car to increase HP and Torque but i cant find anything besides a K&N intake or a new throttle body. I would love to do an exhaust system but no one makes it. I really wish i would have thought of this aspect before i bought my car. I woulda got a 1.8t or at least a 30v. D*MNIT!

Old 03-10-2006, 05:31 AM
5th Gear

you could totally do a custom exhaust man its not too expensive, just go buy something like a remus muffler and have a shop bent up some pipes for it, that with the intake might give you a little bit more power.....

Old 03-10-2006, 06:07 AM
1st Gear

I was thinking about a custom one. would i keep the stock Cat Converter and just replace piping from there back (alomg with the muffler of course)? or should i get all new piping but keep stock cat? or get new everything? should i get a muffler for a 2.8 30v or does it not matter? and also i see mixed reviews on intakes.. some say it wont do a thing and others say it will make a diff. maybe it'll make a diff on mine but not other? As you guys can see i dont know a whole lot about modding so i really aprreciate those who take time to answer my questions and enlighten me.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:40 PM

Im guessing you have a 96 2.8L 12V? Nice reliable car.

Intake will help any N/A car, the reason it doesnt help us 1.8T guys is the turbo creates so much heat, with most aftermarket intakes , you just get the hot air sucked in.

if you DO want to get some performance mods , this is what you need.

Intake, Exhaust ( You can replace the cat if you want, if you are worried or have emissions, just get a High Flow Cat), Headers ( Also know as the exhaust manifold), Bored Throttle body, Wideband w/ SAFC.

You could street tune it and may be able to get more HP.

What I think you SHOULD do is? At most Intake/Exhaust... your not going to get much performance out of a 12V.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:20 PM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: PKSJeter

is that why there are so few aftermarket products for my car? Did audi really design this car that well?
The problem is the engine ECU software. The way they designed it it is nearly impossible to chip the US version. That means you would have to do stand alone engine management for nearly any substantial modifications.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear

get a huge freakin turbo kit.....HUGE!!!...

sorry...stupid post *bows head*

Old 03-10-2006, 03:05 PM
5th Gear

an intake will get you a few hp, as will a custom exhaust setup....if you do exhaust, keep in mind that you have two cats, so you can either buy two high flow cats, or go fully custom and convert to a normal single cat setup..that's what i'll be doing eventually....you can also port and polish your intake manifold, exhaust manifold, bore out your throttle body (or buy one)...there's really not much you can do to get any significant gains...other mods you can do would snub mount, electric fan kit, cosmetic mods (headlights, fog lights, taillights, grill, etc)...there's a lot you can do to your 12v, just not a whole lot to get you any real power