Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOOR STICK - HORN HONKING...followed by LIGHTS FLASHING!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy DOOR STICK - HORN HONKING...followed by LIGHTS FLASHING!

I JUST purchased a 2001 Audi A4 with 101,300 miles on it. I have literally had this car for 3 days. The past couple days in a row, right after lunch ironically, the horn honks for 30 seconds and the lights proceed to flash.

I assumed it was a security issue possibly, so went out and unlocked the driver's side door with the key. I have also tried pressing the lock and unlock buttons, which will disengage it temporarily and then it starts back up again. I dont' have an owner's manual, so I don't have the slightest idea what else to try or if this is even normal.

I have also been having trouble with the driver's side door latch - sometimes it catches and does not want to open. You have to push it closed and retry opening it.

I'm just sick...because I needed a fairly dependable car until I get thru this position I'm at in life...and I'm already worried it's going to cost me a mint. Of course, none of these issues were occurring when I test drove it and a mechanic looked at it. Furthermore, I was under the impression that the longevity of these cars was looking good. An '01 with low miles (considering the year)...I was told would easily run for 200K with proper maintenance and upkeep. Huh.

Please - any suggestions or has anyone else experienced the door issue or the door honk, lights flashing?

Thank you!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

After lunch, do you leave your keys in your back pocket and sit down? Maybe... hit the panic button by chance? Or maybe the panic button is stuck?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

if your locking your car with the windows down thats why this is happening.

the cars motion sensors get tripped off by the wind, you can disable them though its a small button between your seat and the rear left seat on the panel that holds your seatbelt. Press the button and the red light should blink for 3seconds then when you lock the car you shouldn't see it blink

sorry for late bump