Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Transmission fluid have to be drained to remove TCM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Default Does Transmission fluid have to be drained to remove TCM?

Hi,

I have a 2004 Audi A4 B6 FWD (not quattro) - it has the CVT transmission.

I believe I have either a faulty TCM (Trans. control module) or a bas connection.

I was wondering if anyone knows it in order to remove/replace the TCM if the trans. fluid must be drained first?

Regards,

xster

Old 11-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Does Transmission fluid have to be drained to remove TCM?

Its been a while since ive replaced one but you shouldn't have to drain the fluid if i remember correctly. Just take off the tail of the tranny housing and pull it out.
BTW people that have no experience with a CVT don't tell him the TCM is under the carpet because its not. [:@]

Old 11-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Site Moderator

You know what let me check what the repair manual has to say, i don't want you to take a bath in hot CVT fluid. [8D]

Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Site Moderator

Ok looked it up, you don't have to drain anything, just make sure you have a VAG COM to code the new control unit. Write down the coding of the old control module before taking it apart then code the new one to the existing code the old one had.
The torque spec for the control module is 10 NM

Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 PM

Thank you Auditech 79

Much appreciated!

Just out of curiousity - which source of service manual are you using? and is it electronic or paper?

Regards,

xster

Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Site Moderator

That is from the factory elsa web repair manual online, something really similar would be a bentley manual which are in CD form if you want.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 PM

my only problem is - with my vag-com - as far as i know - it won't read the coding on the TCM because the TCM is not responding correctly. (that's one f my problems)

I'm hoping to be able to access the TCM and determine if possibly there is a bad connection or something simple like that before i go oabout changing it.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Site Moderator

No you probably need a new one, they go bad quite often and there is a TSB out for them under certain VIN numbers if i remember correctly. If you have a VAG COM you can manually do it thru guided functions, it will guide you on how to code it.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:55 PM

Auditech79

By any chance, do you know if i should be able to simply access the tail of the tranny housing from under the vehicle - or is there a lot of dismantling that must be done in order to access it?

The other question - when audi has a TSB for a specific fault - does that ever mean that it should be covered by audi - if it's out f warranty already - or does it just mean that there is a known issue?

Regards,

xster

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Site Moderator

It won't be covered under warranty un-less its a recall which it isn't.
Changing the module is pretty easy, you can pull off the tail housing without doing anything major, if you want more room to work you can lower down the rear subframe.
Its about a 3 hour job with basic hand tools, make sure to lube the o-rings before pushing on the new module.