Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my first mountain driving in my Audi!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default Did my first mountain driving in my Audi!

I did my first mountain driving today. My dad wanted to check out a resturaunt and get reservations to it because he is taking my mom there tonight. Its up in the hills around here. First it was pretty open, two lane 50mph with 35mph and guardrails. My Quattro sense (like spidey-sense) told me faster, so I pulled them a little over the recommended speed. Never slipped out or so much as threatened to do so. I also got to practice heel-toe downshifting around turns. I was going about 55mph when the next road came up. It came up pretty abruptly, so I slowed down to about 20mph to feel safe making a 300 degree turn. This road was pretty poorlly paved (lots of uneven patches of new cement), two narrow lanes and no guardrails. Drop on one side, rocks, ready for me to smash into them on the opposing side. There was hardly any traffic going the other way (3-4 cars) and mostly bicyclists, so I got to take up the whole road for quite a while, only returning to my lane for blind turns.

It was a real sweet ride on the windy strips, except for this idiot cyclist behind me. Like I said, the road was pretty narrow, so I kept the speed limit, mostly coasting the turns and keeping it in 2nd to 30mph for the straight aways. Every time I slowed down, the idiot would throw his arms up in the air and make an angry face... he could have passed me any time he wanted to, but I guess some people like being angry.

Then on the way back, the final long stretch. It was 50mph with slower turns, but it was crawling with Highway Patrol so I minded my gauges. I did rev it up to 5500 or so RPMs once just to hear the engine.

Now I'm hooked. I want more.

Cameron

Old 06-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Did my first mountain driving in my Audi!

nice man, did u turn off traction controll
do u have any suspension mods

Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 PM
2nd Gear

Oh yeah, this is NorCal, SF Bay Area. I went on Highway 92 to Skyline Blvd (the first road), then to Kings Mountain Road (the narrow twisty one) to Can(~)ada road (the 50mph one). Didn't turn off traction control because its a 2001. It has the full time traction control, but not the other one you can turn off (forgot the names).

Even if I could turn it off, I doubt I would on my first trip up. I've been driving in a BMW when the traction control kicks in, so I know what the power loss feels like. Nothing like that happened, so I figure it never even did any work.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:44 PM
5th Gear

No traction control on quattro... unless I guess he has ESP or whatever, I think that was avail on the 2.8 in 2000+.

Sounds like a good drive though, biker musta been pretty effin quick to keep up with you at 30mph... was this going UP hill or down? Maybe it was Lance haha

Old 06-05-2005, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear

Down hill. He was mostly getting mad when I would break on the sharp downhill turns. The last car I've driven like that was RWD, so traction wasn't the same then.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:47 AM
2nd Gear

quattro doesnt have tracton control, its your fault if you start understeering if you shift the weight wrong... iv had many a spin in my quattro, and everytime its because the abs slows me down so much that my backend become so light...

happy canyoning man.... yet another victim to the awd speed bug...

Old 06-06-2005, 04:43 AM
3rd Gear

its fun isnt it. i have quite the windy road by my house (>>15mph turns) i get all four tires squeeling sometimes on that road.