Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder 1 : oil on spark plug.. too much? pics..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Cylinder 1 : oil on spark plug.. too much? pics..

ive never seen oil get down the threads from a bad valve cover gasket...and i;ve never heard of a spark plug gasket but maybe im a noob...

oil def should not be getting onto the threads, below the head (if they did then compression would also be leaking up out the threads which=bad. The only thing i could think of would be either head gasket, piston rings, or if ur very lucky a lotta oil was pooled above the plug and when you loosened the plug the oil seeped onto the threads, but that wouldnt effect the way your car runs

Old 04-25-2006, 02:08 PM

as you undo the plugs the oil gets on the threads that's normal, ill go for the rocker/valve gasket as well

Old 04-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Site Moderator

agree with Tom - rings or head gasket.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:13 PM

the oil is above those items but a compression test will sort that ( was the plug lose ) ( did you spill oil when topping up )

Old 04-25-2006, 02:54 PM
3rd Gear

^^agreed do a compression test

Old 04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
2nd Gear

im not sure if i got oil on it when pulling it out or not.. cleaning the oil off has made my car seem to run better.. either that or changing the dv.. im not sure yet.. should have only done 1 at a time..

the "spark plug gasket" is the part of the valve cover gasket that goes around the "spark plug chambers"... wow im really using the technical talk today..im at a loss for words..

well **** im hoping its not headgasket or rings.. i did just buy my car not long again.. and have a warranty through the used car dealership i bought the car from... so ill take a look over it and see it this is covered.. [:@]

p.s. could this be the culprit in my stuttering under high boost issue? im guessing if the plug is covered in oil it cant be firing as needed.. ??

Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear

also... this is what im talking about when i said "spark plug gasket" .. thats my very own made up term .. lol

the gasket in the middle here

Old 04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear

well so far the car is still running great.. if my compression was ***'d up.. cleaning the oil off the plug wouldnt correct this? right? im hoping its just a gasket leak.. time will tell .. but ill try to take it to the local euro shop for a compression test just in case [:'(]

Old 04-25-2006, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear

Compression test is in order for sure I agree with tom. If your rings are gone the comp test will tell you right away. But if it were the headgasket the oil would start to get into the waterjackets. Check your coolant for oil, check your oil for water, pull your exhaust manifold and check your valves for sighns of oil.

You said the car stuttered up top right?

Old 04-25-2006, 07:50 PM
3rd Gear

BTW if this happened shortly after you chipped it I might lean to the headgasket cuz they hate boost. I dont know about audi's but in my DSM I use a metal headgasket with APR head studs when I got over 16-18psi...........

Quick Reply: Cylinder 1 : oil on spark plug.. too much? pics..