Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut off Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Default Cut off Valve?

Car = '01 A4 1.8T Q

Good morning everyone. About a week ago I made a post regarding a "strange noise" coming from my engine. It sounds like its in the area that would be behind the center console. I experiance this noise when I release the accelerator completely. I am making another post because I have a bit more information. I took my car in about 1 month ago for the 80K service and told them of this problem. The ended up fixing the cut off valve.

I spent the next comple days totally happy with the car. It ran better and no noise. Then I ended up having a coil pack fail. After having that replaced a couple days later i noticed the sound had come back. Is it possible the cut off valve failed again?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Cut off Valve?

not sure what you mean by cut of valve, guessing n249 but thats not needed. You can just remove or bypass that. You sure its just not your dv making noise, that is when its released.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:34 PM

It could be the DV. I read another post some where mentioning a strange noise on releasing the accelerator when the DV is not working properly. The only reason I say "cut off valve" is because on the work order it states "The cut off valve was was found to be faulty and flapping." I have an appointment for the car wednesday so I might just have to wait and see what they say.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm make believe

just take the lid off the airbox and see what noise it makes. If its the same sound, just louder, its your dv. Plus if it makes a sound like a rapped goose, your dv is bad.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Well according to Audi service, my car is working as intended. They did all kind of tests. Its boosting normal and there were no fault codes. Im assuming they just dont know what the heck it is.

Oh and I guess a describing it as a rattle sound would be a better to put it too.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 PM

cut off valve is a little vague because there are a few like fuel cut of on deceleration/ waste gate valve but since you say its more like a rattle then check for loose components like exhaust heat shields for starters

Old 11-21-2007, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: techbod

cut off valve is a little vague because there are a few like fuel cut of on deceleration/ waste gate valve but since you say its more like a rattle then check for loose components like exhaust heat shields for starters
I will have to do some checking into this, thank you. Im thinking its more along the lines of the fuel cut off since I only hear it when I release the accelerator after the boost start.

Thanks again for all the info.

It is also apparent that I cant describe this sound properly for the life of me.. [:@]