Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom cold air box for my evo intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:03 AM
3rd Gear
Default custom cold air box for my evo intake

i started it tonite, the temp outside is 90 plus so my evo intake is sukin all of the hott engine air and im going to try to do sumthin about it.

i went to my local true value to se what kinda of parts i needed to do this and lucky for me my friend was workin so when i asked he kinda knew what i was lookn for. they had a 3 feet by 2 feet piece of sheet metal that looks to me to be the perfect size i had in mind and a can of black paint/foam that blocks heat.

i made a templet out of cardboard and cut the sheet metal to match the templet. that is as far as i got tonight but i will try to finish tomorrow and follow with pics

Old 08-03-2005, 02:06 AM
Administrator
Default RE: custom cold air box for my evo intake

good luck on that man
cant wait to see the final product

Old 08-03-2005, 03:49 AM
1st Gear

make sure to post pictures of your progress man i would like to see this finished

Old 08-03-2005, 04:24 AM
1st Gear

must post pics when done

custom intake seems to be the only way to really get cold air sucked in

Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: black b5

must post pics when done

custom intake seems to be the only way to really get cold air sucked in
well im still using the evo intake for now but it should block most of the hott air

Old 08-03-2005, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

Good idea! I actually plan on doing this as well, but in carbon fiber. I have experience in working with CF and I think this would be a good material to use for heat dissipation in that area. I also have the EVO intake, but I am planning on making the heat shield almost the length of the engine bay and of about an 1/8" - 1/4" of CF that I will have fit custom around my MAF to turbo hose. I also plan on building a new "scoop" in place of where the stock intake was right about the radiator out of CF but a LOT smoother and directed towards the filter better. My 3 piece will be a cover that encloses the box with another "scoop" that will work in conjunction with the CF hood I'm getting that will have 2 inlets directly behind the headlights and an inverted vent directly above and behind the engine area to allow air to pass over the engine area. I need to design a plug of some sorts for when it's raining so I'm not forcing rain into the filter (BAD IDEA). I was actually planning on doing the rough models very soon and then sending them out to be "show finish quality" later, but it looks like I'm headed to the desert for the govt so I don't think I'll be able to start this project until after I get back. Black991.8tq, whatever material you are using you may want to just play around with putting CF on the back side as well as whatever foam heat dispersant you were talking about using... I don't think it could hurt and CF isn't that hard to work with. It's just like fiberglass, just way lighter, stronger and more expensive. Good luck with your project thou, let us know how it turns out (PICS!)

John

Old 08-03-2005, 03:32 PM
3rd Gear

so i just got it fitted and i must say im really impressed with thy way it fits, now im putting on the coats of the heat deflector stuff. i took a few pics but want to wait till im finished so i can show u guys what it looks like when it is finished and installed.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Make sure you strap it on good, wouldn't like any rattles!!! What thickness sheet metal you using?

Old 08-03-2005, 06:15 PM
3rd Gear

oh it fits real good, and the heat deflector gives it a nice coating so it wont rattle......pics are comming

Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
4th Gear

CAnt wait to see pics

Quick Reply: custom cold air box for my evo intake