Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cryogenic Freezing

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:48 AM
5th Gear
Default Cryogenic Freezing

ok so im gettin a stage II clutch from southbend. one of the things they offer on the site is cryogenic freezing of their clutches.

ORIGINAL: South Bend

Cryogenic Freezing

Cryogenic Processing is a one time, permanent and irreversible treatment that affects the entire object, not just the surface.

Cryogenics is a form of heat treat. The material being treated is exposed to extremely cold temperatures in a controlled atmosphere. As the material drops in temperature the molecular movement starts to slow down and the individual molecules move closer together. When the temperature is maintained at below -300ยบ F the molecules virtually stop moving and become very compact. Upon thawing at a controlled rate they begin to spread out evenly, creating a consistent molecular pattern. When the material becomes room temperature again all the molecules are now distributed equally and aligned in an extremely consistent grain pattern. The new consistent grain structure distributes the flow of energy evenly throughout the entire object, eliminating stress points. This elimination of stress points creates a consistent and evenly distributed microstructure. The treated material has a new grain pattern with no weak points and is stronger and more durable than ever before.

In scientific terms the process is a transformation of the retained austenite structure into a martensite atom structure. The soft retained austenite atom structure is changed by using the correct cycle of temperature changes into its harder form, which is a martensite atom structure. This is the actual strengthening agent.

A good comparison can be made between the Cryogenic Process and the quenching of melted metal ore. Quenching is the rapid cooling of metal using water or oil. The Cryogenic Process can be thought of in the same fashion, except that Cryogenics takes the quenching process to -300 degrees F and is a dry process.

Please visit www.CryoStrength.com for more information and a list of applications.

so what do you guys think about it? its only 40 bucks so i was thinkin bout trying it, or is it just a waste?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Cryogenic Freezing

Save the 40 bucks.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Site Moderator

Wow.. they could have just said their clutches are designed by NASA. Either way, id skip on it. You know you could put that $40 to better use anyway!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear

I did not do it when I bought mine.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear

Hey if its good enough for Walt Disney and The Duke then its good enough for me

lol

Old 01-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Site Moderator

Dont forget Austin Powers and Dr. Evil

Old 01-22-2007, 06:29 PM
4th Gear

They also keep a small portion of the frozen clutch material, then they can make baby clone clutches in case yours ever wears out, you can make an exact replica of it.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

I'd say save the money, from what I've hear/read cryogenic freezing of metals has shown SOME improvement in how they wear, but I'm not totall convinced it would make all the much of a difference in a clutch.

Check out this quick excerpt from a published scientific paper.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...ec83c5af850630

Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 PM

sounds strange to do that to a clutch Ive seen it done on bearings so as not to putheat into the bearing its self the cold shrinks the shaft so the bearing can just drop in then when it warms up by its self the shaft expands to take up the slack

edit: that should be the other way round ( freeze the bearing not the shaft )

Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 PM

Nick,

Just wondering if you have a PDF of the full article. I'd be really interested to see what it says.

Quick Reply: Cryogenic Freezing