Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant/ Overheating Issue- Need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant/ Overheating Issue- Need help

Hey guys. My coolant has been running low on its own but I have seen no leaks or wet spots on the ground. There are no wet spots on the carpet either. Just yesterday, I lifted the hood to add more coolant after a short drive. As I turned the cap for the coolant reservoir, it steamed and bubbled and it filled itself back up with coolant up till the minimum level.

I have filled it a few times before to the maximum level. What could be wrong? And can anyone explain why the coolant replenished itself after I removed the cap? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:20 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Coolant/ Overheating Issue- Need help

can anyone help me out?

Old 09-16-2005, 09:29 AM
4th Gear

You released pressure from the system with a hot engine. That caused the coolant to boil in the engine and forced coolant into the expansion tank.

the question is where is your coolant going. Check for leaks. You don't say what engine. If the 1.8t check for leaks especially at the oil cooler under the oil filter, or near the water pump. Find where the coolant is going. BTW, what are you replacing the coolant with?

Old 09-16-2005, 12:01 PM
4th Gear

You should be adding G-12 red antifreeze mixed with water.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

hey it's a 1.8T, sorry about the lack of info. when it leaked i ran over to the local autozone and got some regular green coolant that says it can be mixed with any color coolant. So, would adding the G12 coolant fix the problem, if I don't have any leaks?

thanks for the input, I will check for leaks once the weather clears.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:50 AM
4th Gear

Green can't be mixed with the coolant in your system. You need to drain and flush the system and replace it with 50/50 G12 and distilled water.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:00 PM
4th Gear

You can flush and refill with universal yellow antifreeze. 50/50 mix with water.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

That wont fix your problem,
You losing coolant somewhere
Do you have good heat ? this is the only way you know you have good circulation
and no air pockets in the engine ... if its ok then
you have to pull your underpan to see if you have any coolant leaks
if not you will have to put your system under pressure with a Coolant pressure tester.
If nothing is found time to start pulling plugs to see if you have any white resdue on the plugs

Old 09-18-2005, 04:35 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: david9999

Green can't be mixed with the coolant in your system. You need to drain and flush the system and replace it with 50/50 G12 and distilled water.

that new stuff that says it yellow, looks green.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

hey guys i found a leak. it's coming out of a hose that is connecting to something near the oil pan. I don't know what it is, so I took some pictures. I will upload them in a few mins as soon as i can find them. for some reason it tends to leak when i am on an incline, such as the driveway at my parent's house. when i am at my house, i don't see any leaks, maybe b/c my driveway is flat?

Quick Reply: Coolant/ Overheating Issue- Need help