Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leaks.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear
Default Coolant leaks.... again!

Recently, about 2 months ago, I did my t- belt replacement and fixed some coolant leaks I've had since I bought the car in '05. Anyway, as a precaution I purchased a new flange for the back of the head because I had a bad leak there and wasn't sure if the orginal one was cracked or something. After the t-belt was done I still has some small leaks in the one hose I did not replace so I kept running only water in it until I could get that fixed. Thats been done now for about 3 weeks, but I still had one small coolant leak I could not locate (could be the radiator, cant afford to replace that yet. I've left it go for a few days now, but it seems to be loosing water more rapidly. After a careful inspection I found the system is leaking in two places now that hadn't leaked for the first month after the t-belt was done. One area is the lower hose coming from the oil cooler. When I had this apart the first time I cleaned the surface up with fine sand paper and then emery cloth. I installed a brand new hose and new hose clamps... now it's leaking again- not badly, but still leaking. The second area is the flange on the back of the head. When I fixed thie the last time I replaced the flange with a new one with a new O-ring and even put a light coat of sealant on it. It's been dryup until this week, now I see some wetness on the top of the tranny and I can see residue around the flange. I'm so pissed.

Anywho- does anyone know if there is a good flange made for this motor, preferably one that is made of metal and wont fail after two months? Is this a common problem with this engine? It seems the only place it's not leaking is where I replaced a hose from the top of the oil cooler with a chunk of heater hose from my jeep.

And yes, I'm still running water only because the G12 coolant is expensive (more than it needs to be) and I don't want to have to keep replacing it. Besides, it's life time coolant and I'm not putting it in until all the leaks have been stopped.