Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Burning/Leak/Problem Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 02:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant Burning/Leak/Problem Repairs

So I had the dealer fill my coolant up in between the arrows. It has taken about 3-4 weeks for the coolant level to drop to the bottom of the lower arrow. I can smell the sweet coolant burn. However, I never see any signs of it (unless it has been burned out through the cylinders and therefore the exhaust, which is must better than falling into the crank area) I do not notice a change in the oil level, or color change there. And I cannot for the life of me see a spot on the ground where it might be leaking. Now I know regardless of what symptoms are showing it could be a lot of different things. But on an 02 A4 1.8tq tip what am I looking at repair wise? Or any ideas on what it could be. The only fault code I have that deals with coolant just came on and talks about engine coolant temperature circuit high and the DTC is P0118. Water Pump? Head Gasket? Hoses? what am I looking at here? And any guesstimates on repairs so I can figure out my financial situation? Thanks guys!

Old 04-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Coolant Burning/Leak/Problem Repairs

your car does not overheat, correct?
My guess is you simply have a slow leak - check all your hoses, especially where they connect to housings (ie. the reservoir connections). The coolant might also be escaping by the turbo and eing burned off, or escaping where the coolant temp sensor plugs into the cooling systen, then it would drop down on the manifold or exhaust and burn off.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

thanks brr...I wish the damn pressure tester didn't cost like $200 or I'd do it myself...I'm praying for a crappy hose or loose connection...the smell is coming from the front of the engine on the passenger's side...

Old 04-07-2006, 05:14 AM

damm man i got an 03 A4 and i got the same problem i cant find a leak
anywhere did u ever get it figured out