Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confusing Airbox:

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear
Default Confusing Airbox:

Well, i was taking out my air filter to put in a K&N air filter, and to see if i want to do the airbox mod. Thats when i found something i didnt know was there:

Where everyone else drilled the holes in their airbox, i found a round, spring-loaded flap. I have never seen this on any of the pics that people have poasted, and i couldnt find it in my audi/vw book. I am concidering just taking the spring off this flap and using it for my intake, but i just wanted to know if someone else knows about this. My airbox has the audi markings on it, so i know it isnt arfermarket.

What is even more confusing, is that if the flap were to be open without me drilling holes in the plastic fender well, then there would be nothing the flap could do. It is sealed in there sith the foam lining from teh airbox.

I will poast pics later when my family gets home with the camera.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Confusing Airbox:

Yeah thats how it is. That flap is supposed to be there. I really dont know why though. It looks like it will open if there is a lot of vaccum and its like a valve that allows for air in if needed in wot or something.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

weirddd

Old 08-27-2006, 11:59 PM
2nd Gear

onepoint8tee, do you think that if i just removed the spring, it would allow enough intake to let it work? Or even! if i used a weaker spring, then the car would cound normal under low throttle, but when pushed, the flap would open easily and let things sound good. But also, maby that would eliminate the diverter noise because the pressure would blowovv after the valve would close.....

Old 08-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: AudiCross

onepoint8tee, do you think that if i just removed the spring, it would allow enough intake to let it work? Or even! if i used a weaker spring, then the car would cound normal under low throttle, but when pushed, the flap would open easily and let things sound good. But also, maby that would eliminate the diverter noise because the pressure would blowovv after the valve would close.....
uhhh.. i dunno. id say leave it as is or do the mod according to the DIY article. You really need to hack things appart to get the noise/effect of the air box mod.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:36 AM
2nd Gear

Well, i guess im just going to do it step by step. I will tear it apart, drill teh fender well,put it back together, and then just test and retry, using the previous peoples attempts as guidelines. If i find something cool, ill poast it. I will get started once i get the screening and tape

Thanks