Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

collar bolt on axle possibly stripped.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: collar bolt on axle possibly stripped.

ORIGINAL: hiwords

o ya. if u do indeed strip it. see if u can sumhow weld the allen socket to it and then u'll get it out for sure
LOL! Cause that couldn't possibly warp the hub..............[&:]

Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM

if you do strip it you probably have to tap it to get it out. such a PITA to do and dnot mess up

Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear

I am pretty sure heat is the only way to get that out. I'm about to do my front two wheel bearing soon, but I did a rear one about a month ago. The heads of my bolts are so rusted that once I cleaned them out the allensocket was sloppy, eventually rounding it out. I took the next couple sizes up allen socket and ground it off until it just fit inside the bolt. Then I heated the bolt (and only the bolt) with a torch until it was red hot. I was able to put the ground down allen socket in the head of the bolt and took it out by hand. There is lock tight on the last 1/2" of the bolt (and the bolt is 3" long) so you really got to heat it up good. You're not going to warp the hub and I really doubt it hurts the bearing much, but in my opinion if you are going to have it this far apart and the car has a lot of miles on it I'd just do the bearing while you're there. It's save you the agervation of having them go bad a month later and have to take it all apart and have it aligned again. Two bearing will only cost ya $100.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: 99A4NOW

I am pretty sure heat is the only way to get that out. I'm about to do my front two wheel bearing soon, but I did a rear one about a month ago. The heads of my bolts are so rusted that once I cleaned them out the allensocket was sloppy, eventually rounding it out. I took the next couple sizes up allen socket and ground it off until it just fit inside the bolt. Then I heated the bolt (and only the bolt) with a torch until it was red hot. I was able to put the ground down allen socket in the head of the bolt and took it out by hand. There is lock tight on the last 1/2" of the bolt (and the bolt is 3" long) so you really got to heat it up good. You're not going to warp the hub and I really doubt it hurts the bearing much, but in my opinion if you are going to have it this far apart and the car has a lot of miles on it I'd just do the bearing while you're there. It's save you the agervation of having them go bad a month later and have to take it all apart and have it aligned again. Two bearing will only cost ya $100.
Not true! Thats why snap on created $600 air hammers for with sharp attachments. I can cut into the bolt and spin it right out of there, it wouldn't matter if it were torqued to 800 ftlbs.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 PM

i've read two different writeups. one says its a 14 and one says 17. the 14 seems like its pretty close, it just rotated out. which one is it? i drive a 99.5 A4 Avant (quattro). if i get new bolts, im thinking about taking it to the dealership and seeing if they can just break them loose for me to put on the new ones.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 PM
5th Gear

if the dealership is nice they will but most of them aren't nice lol. i forgot wut i used when i did mine. i think it might have been the 17. well get a 17 and try it. or if u can find a 17mm bolt, put it in there and see if it fits. i think the lugs are 17. it should be that hard to remove though. spray some penetrant on it. also break the bolt tight and then try to break it loose

Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Site Moderator

The allan ones are all 17mm, there are however external hex bolts on the older models that are 14mm. Is that what you have?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM

ya, im an idiot, i didn't mean allen, nor have i been using an allen. it is the 14mm hex bolt, and i have been using the 14mm hex wrench.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Site Moderator

Oh good, those should be easy to remove. Find someone with an air hammer and dig a slot into the bolt with the chissel and turn that bad boy out.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 PM

well, **** me, now some of the other writeups are saying 17mm. interesting. i may have to find a 17mm now and give that a whirl if it still fits.

Quick Reply: collar bolt on axle possibly stripped.