Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 04:38 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: cold air intake

ORIGINAL: SlimChriz

no were not imolas. but he asked about intakes... which are more suseptable to heat under the hood because they dont have the "snorkel" like the stock box
Ok, Slim. This thread has been going back and forth between subjects. I just wanted to be clear. I'm wit' ya now.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:08 AM
2nd Gear

Well, pressure drop behind a front mounted intercoler is something I had not really thought that much about. I assumed it would decrease the amount of air that was able to cool the radiator and condensor, but didn't think it would be that much. I guess I'm not so sure how big it is, the stock one is pretty small. So if it dropped intake temp on my car 10 degrees, how noticeable would you figure that to be? With the turbo upgrade it will likely make a bigger difference don't you think?

Old 07-03-2004, 08:36 PM
3rd Gear

you have a K04 am I right? If you installed an FMIC the temp drop would be more noticeable at speed but they do help a lot to reduce heatsoak at idle too, the difference should be noticeable.

Old 07-04-2004, 04:11 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, I do have the K04. Hmm, this is good. Thanks a lot, I apprecaite your explanation here. I have a much better understanding of intake temp now. I'll still probably keep this thread alive for another month or so though. lol. Seriously, excellent info, this is the second turbo vehicle I've ever owned (1996 Mits Eclipse GSX with the 2.0 turbo) but the first one I have modified. I just don't have as good a grasp of how intake temp effects performance and how the changes I am considering making will change things. So, it sounds like the bigger front mounted intercooler is a good idea for me? Who makes a good one? What intercooler do you use? I guess that could have eliminated a bunch of my previous questions. Anyway, thanks for putting up with what were some clearly basic questions. I'm diving in to a new projecct to tomorrow and would like that to become part of it. What all have you done to your beauty now? Thanks again for the scoop (no pun intended) GRIN. I'll start out the new post here, please jump in.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:20 AM
3rd Gear

What Have I done?....Well in this order I installed HKS intake, Intrax springs/w Koni ajustible shocks/struts, chipped 1bar, modified exhaust, 17"benz rims, new paint, projector headlamps, 2001 style tails, RS4 grill with trim painted to match exterior
Interior: pillar mount boost gauge, alpine 3cd headunit, clarion amp, boston acoustics speakers in rear doors and rear deck, also the most important interior mod in my mind was removein that damn ski bag so I can stash **** in the trunk when I get pulled over
probly left a few things out but Owell