Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: cold air intake

Well, with the front mounted intercooler how much cooler do you suppose the intake temps would be. One more question, how much of a change does it take to notice a difference in performance? I mean like with HP, you notice 10, but probably not 1. Don't mean to beat this topic to death, just want to learn about it some more. Thanks guys.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:20 PM
3rd Gear

If they are well made and efficient, FMIC's tend to drop the core temp by about 100 degrees.
The EVO FMIC claims up to 20HP gain - that you'd feel.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:18 AM
2nd Gear

When you say core temp, is that referring to the center of the intercooler? How would that translate into actual intake temp? Mine right now are all 136ish.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:39 AM
3rd Gear

Here's a quote that is interesting.
Of course it is from APR and they are trying to sell their FMIC, but, for what it's worth....
APR is please to present our front mounted intercooler for A4 1.8T. The construction and advanced design techniques used in the APR intercooler sets ours apart from all the others on the market. Utilizing such technologies as a top-bottom feed core, custom mandrel bent plumbing, and innovative cast endtanks with internal vaning, our intercooler has produced excellent results in testing.

The conditions of one test that was performed is as follows: at 20 psi of pressure with a vehicle speed of 70 mph, and an elevation of approximately 500 feet above sea level. Under these conditions the internal flow was measured at 720cfm. Also at those conditions, with an input temp of 240º F, the intercooler was quite effective; cooling the output air to 126º F. While doing this, the intercooler measured a pressure drop of only .58 psi.

Equally as impressive with the APR intercooler was the external pressure drop (the amount of air pressure behind the intercooler) of only 1.01 psi. This helps to allow airflow to other critical parts of the car such as the radiator and A/C condenser. While the internal pressure drop is important, the external pressure drop is often overlooked. Most other intercoolers commonly cause 1.5 to 2.0 pounds of pressure drop, hindering the radiator from effectively doing its job of cooling the engine.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:42 AM
4th Gear

Not to change to subject, but is there any noticeable hp+ increase for the PES cold air intake,and if so how much? thanks guys

Old 07-01-2004, 03:14 AM
3rd Gear

when your thinkin about intercoolers remember that the temp inside will never match or be lower than the temp outside

I doubt there will be any noticeable increase at all whether there is in fact any change at all is unknown to me and is a highly disputed issue... I have the HKS intake and noticed no improvement at all and actually when sitting in traffic for a while it seems to have even less power because of heat im sure..

Old 07-01-2004, 04:03 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SlimChriz

.........and actually when sitting in traffic for a while it seems to have even less power because of heat im sure..
This is a simple case of heat soak. Quite common when at idle in traffic.

But are we talking about the same thing? Intercoolers and their abilities or the engine cooling syctem?

Old 07-01-2004, 04:19 AM
4th Gear

Why is it that the A4 you dont have any hp gain with a cold air intake(why even sell them), i know people who have them and they have 10 to 15 hp increases?

Old 07-01-2004, 04:20 AM
3rd Gear

no were not imolas. but he asked about intakes... which are more suseptable to heat under the hood because they dont have the "snorkel" like the stock box

Old 07-01-2004, 04:36 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: audiboy1618

Why is it that the A4 you dont have any hp gain with a cold air intake(why even sell them), i know people who have them and they have 10 to 15 hp increases?
Some may have ducted the intake to the CAI, which would aid in the overall performance. Of course, hp gains without elaborating on the methods by which they were observed is leaving a lot to be desired. They could be under extreme ideal conditions or... who knows?

Quick Reply: cold air intake