Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 01:24 AM
4th Gear
Default cold air intake

Anyone have any suggestions for the best cold air intake for the 1.8t?

Old 06-27-2004, 03:23 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: cold air intake

PES has one for $270.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:06 PM
6th Gear

are you trying to gain horsepower or just want the sound, because a cold air intake on an Audi is almost pointless.

Old 06-28-2004, 01:38 AM
4th Gear

Would an air intake senor would better, i think i saw 20hp+,but that was for the nonturbo, dont know if they make them for the turbo?

Old 06-28-2004, 06:55 PM
6th Gear

I'm not sure what you are talking about, and air intake sensor? If so you are goign to have to send a link, because it sounds like snake oil to me.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear

Jestnomen, I recently measured the temp on each cylinders intake on my 2000 Quattro and at temp it ran 136 consitently. The intake is sort of cold air as it draws from an intake on top of the condenser, but that thing gets so hot it probably defeats the purpose. Wouldn't an intake that could drop the temp serve to increase HP? I could use some info on the topic as I really don't have any experience with intakes on a turbo intercooled engine. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:33 AM
3rd Gear

Dropping the temp isn't the key issue.
You need to draw in cold air from outside the vehicle because colder air is denser than hot air. It needs to be cool before entering the intake so that it has a greater density per unit volume. If you cool the air after it has reached the intake manifold, the density might increase, but the volume would remain the same. In effect the volume would decrease, but the net of measured volume by the MAF and the actual volume of air entering the manifold would be the same. The MAF would have already sent info to the ecu which would thus set the proper timing and fuel ratio based on the original reading. Any changes down the line would have no effect.

This is why NOS is difficult. The NOS would have to be injected at or just before the MAF to be effective. This makes it a tough application. It has been done, but with difficulty and lots of supportive mods.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks, now I got it. I can see how NOS would present some problems. Would a bigger intercooler mounted in front of the condenser help? Or maybe ducting some outside air through the intercooler?

Old 06-30-2004, 06:22 PM
3rd Gear

Those ideas do work in principle - that's why front mount intercoolers work well.
Ducting air through the intercooler is an interesting idea, except that you'd need to be able to match the velocity of air that is being transferred through the (already) closed loop system. If the velocity were to change then the net change in pressure would cause more problems down the line. I suppose it's "doable", but I'm not sure how easy the application would be to achieve.

Old 06-30-2004, 06:24 PM
3rd Gear

My gut tells me there are few other issues that would creep into the equation.

Quick Reply: cold air intake