Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CoilPack or?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 08:37 AM
1st Gear
Default CoilPack or?

So, this evening what seems like the symptoms of a blown Coil pack happened to me this evening. i still had miles to go and some hills so while i put it in S gear and went up and down some pretty steep hills while the damn Engine light kept blinking at me. Im freaking out at this point but not too bad because even at a complete stop the car was idleing rough but not stalling I called Rusnak and they cant fit me in till Wednesday... damn Rose Bowl paraded.... Anyway, I get home and its dark so i pop my hood and look down into the engine and and way way down below the engine and pretty much perpendicular with the cap of my coolant cap I notice a red hot and glowing bolt and long screw... again, its night so i can't really tell what it is.

Has anyone noticed anything running super hot in their engine bay when they had a coil pack blown? Also, if i drove it home could i have ruined anything else in the engine?

After getting home i used the search function with my symptoms... flashing CEL, rough idle, loss of power in the lower gears etc and came across all of the 'Blown Coil Pack' threads and I am hoping that this is all it is as it seems that it is 1) covered by my warranty 2) easy to fix and 3) not too scary of a problem.

I was going to post this under the 'Blew my 1st Coilpack wooooo!' thread but since no one has said anything about the glowing hot spot i spotted way down below in the engine bay....

Anyway, i will call around tomorrow since Rusnak is closed on Saturdays and hopefully find someone somewhere that would have this in stock and be able to help me... i just got her washed for the weekend earlier for god's sake .

Anyone, know anyone in so ca, Los Angeles to be a bit more specific, that would happen to carry coil packs that would be open on a saturday?

I guess i should 1st take it over Auto Zone or somewhere and get the CEL diagnosed before i put all my faith in it being something so simple as a blow coil pack... this hasn't been my year and with that being said, im hoping this all that it is.

Thank you for your help everyone and for reading this far along. You guys always know how to help me out. Hope everyone is having a great holiday and a happy new year.

Saddest Panda... EVER.

p.s. I have posted this on another forum but i know some of you only frequent this jam so, if you have seen this in another forum, i apologize but i know their are several experts here too that might be able to help shed some light on my problems. Thanks a million.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:49 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: CoilPack or?

Sounds like it could be a coil pack. Your year and engine would help. A coil pack is a 30 dollar part and a 5 minute DIY replacement. Could be ignition module (depending on year, especially if it is cyl 2 that is misfiring).

Old 12-30-2006, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

David,
I am so radical that i thought i put it in my sig . BOO ME. Anyway, yes, all of that information is totally necessary, here is my car;

02 A4 Avant 3.0

The love of my life... shhhh. don't tell my GF... kidding. Ok, so there it is and thank you for your info. In my research i had heard the coil pack replacement was a fairly easy one and i am glad i will be able to do it myself if it is indeed what the problem is.

Knowing my year and engine now will that help you diagnose the problem and better? Thanks for taking the time.

sputtering along,
panda

Old 12-30-2006, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Ok just got back froom Downtown L.A. Audi (closed at 4) and i got two coil packs for $70, that's with tax. Now, i am going to try and install em... wish me luck.

p

Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 PM

same thing happened to me got a 1.8t 03 put in apr chip blew my 1st one two days later got it back blew my second one. got em all replaced now running great now. never noticed anything getting hot though. was told by dealer that i would be able to drive it in with out hurting anything. i prfer flat bed but no AAA. they had recalls on 01 and 02's might be able to get it covered check it out

Old 01-01-2007, 01:45 PM
3rd Gear

My guess would be that you had a cylinder 4,5,or6 misfire and that thing glowing was your catalytic converter. It even says in the owners manuel that driving with a flashing cel light can damage the cat. Youll be able to tell if its damaged because the cel light will eventually come on it its bad.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
4th Gear

The year does help. as 99.5 up don't have ignition modules, so that rules it out as a source of the problem.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:36 AM
1st Gear

OKay well good news then (kind of)... The light is still blinking. I have to drive it about 15 miles tomorrow morning to get it worked on because Rusnak won't be open till wednesday and downtown won't be able to take me till thursday. rad. Anyway, i will drive it gently or slowly or maybe even get it flat bedded. I tried to do the install myself yesterday but where the coil packs locations on the engine in the 3.0 is different than the 1.8, see picts. It's really hard to get to the actual coil packs as you can see. Not only are there hoses and the coolant resevoir to deal with there are hard plastic cable covers as well that lead all the way to the caps themselves so its hard to do them one by one to do the 'one by one test'.... Anyway, after i get up at the crack of dawn to get to the west side of l.a. so i don't have to sit in traffic and get the lady off the road asap I will post and let you guys know how the repair went. The guy i was recommended to said it was an easy and quick fix. Wish me luck please and thanks for all of your replies you guys. I am very appreciative.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone have instructions on how to repair coilpacks on 98 1.8T? Thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

I meant to replace the coil packs