Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch friction point?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:51 AM
1st Gear
Default Clutch friction point?

Ok so i just got a new clutch (just the stock one) and before i got it the friction point were the clutch grabs the gear was way at the top. Now that i got the new one its like right at the bottom and draged out all the way to the top. Is this because they didnt ajust it or something or is this how its supposed to feal. All input would be nice. Thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Default RE: Clutch friction point?

Probably not adjusted properly, or not installed properly. Audis generally have a high friction point. Not sure about aftermarket clutches, though.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:02 AM
1st Gear

the clutch does not grab any gears. the pressure plate grabs the disk against the flywheel.. the clutch was probably just built that way.. and its new.. its just that theres a lot of meat on the disk and the springs are soft.. so you have a lot of engagement space.. the space shortens somewhat as you drive it.. so your probably just not used to the new one... especially if its not the same as the one you used before.. hope it helps.

ORIGINAL: BLK_A4

Ok so i just got a new clutch (just the stock one) and before i got it the friction point were the clutch grabs the gear was way at the top. Now that i got the new one its like right at the bottom and draged out all the way to the top. Is this because they didnt ajust it or something or is this how its supposed to feal. All input would be nice. Thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

thats, for the most point, how it should be. The release at the top is what a bad clutch feels like, you want some variation while your letting out your shifts, so your its not grabbing all at once.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: oneg

thats, for the most point, how it should be. The release at the top is what a bad clutch feels like, you want some variation while your letting out your shifts, so your its not grabbing all at once.
really? because my clutch doesnt catch until pretty high up

Old 10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Your clutch, if adjusted properly, should start catching close to the floor 10-25% pedal travel and then be fully engaged at about 50% to 75%. The further you have to let the clutch out before it starts to engage the older (or out of adjustment) the system is. Sometimes the long pedal travel can be corrected by adjustment but this usually means your disc/pressure plate (clutch) is wearing out.

My girlfriends 1998 A4 just had the clutch replaced and now it engages right at the floor with resistance until about 50% then it is free to its resting point. That is how a nice, new OEM clutch should be. Before the swap it wouldn't engage until the very top.