Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleanin the Chamber

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:13 PM
3rd Gear
Default Cleanin the Chamber

I was wondering if anyone had novel Ideas for cleaning the cumbustion chamber Ive got some carbon buildup on my pistons and I havnt been able to get rid of it....

Ideas?

Old 09-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Default RE: Cleanin the Chamber

Yeah i was able to do the same thing. Take it to a machine shop and have them wash it. they use super high power soapy solution thatl get it right off.

Old 09-20-2004, 08:49 PM
4th Gear

How about the old walnut shell trick.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

you can try a cleaner/race fuel. it is toluene. i use it to cleen out my injectors and stuff . it works just like any other gas additive but this actualy has results. here is a indepth article on it. http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html . when i do use it i have been using 1gallon per tank i might try 2 gallons next time

good luck
harry b

Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 PM
6th Gear

ever heard of sea foam?

Old 09-21-2004, 03:30 AM
3rd Gear

sea foam? the brand they make deep creep?

Old 09-21-2004, 03:56 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the toluene link (even though you have to copy and paste it )
Ive been thinkin about trying it for a while but I thought it was harder to get than that

Old 09-21-2004, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

Sherwin-Williams pain store have them for $12 a gallon.
I have never tried it before, I think I will buy a gallon and use it in my wifes Neon tonight.
Did anybody use Toulene before?

Old 09-21-2004, 09:37 PM
6th Gear

sea foam...here's a link

Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 PM
3rd Gear

I think there's data on Toluene that it can be harmful to other parts. I seem to remember some info on the harm it may cause to rubber and silicone products. Use it with care and caution.

Here's the precautionary warning given by the most prominent maker of Toluene (ALLPRO Corp.):
DANGER! HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. FLAMMABLE LIQUID & VAPOR. VAPOR HARMFUL. VAPORS MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRE. CONTAINS TOLUENE. Keep away from heat, sparks and flame. Vapors are given off rapidly during use and may ignite explosively. Vapors are heavier than air and may travel long distances to other rooms or lower areas. DO NOT use in confined areas such as basements or bathrooms. Open all doors and windows to provide plenty of fresh air cross ventilation equal to outdoor conditions. DO NOT smoke. Extinguish all flames and pilot lights, and turn off stoves, heaters, electric motors and other sources of ignition during use and until all vapors are gone. Vapors may linger for 30 minutes or more after use. If you smell Toluol, vapors are still present. Do not turn ignition sources on or relight pilot lights until certain that all vapors are gone. Avoid rubbing; friction may cause static electric sparks which may ignite vapors. Do not attempt to start or re-ignite charcoal, wood or any other fire with this product. An explosive fire may result or fire may flash back into the can and explode. For disposal guidance of unused product, contact a household hazardous waste program, or your local or state government environmental control agency.

Health Hazards: Vapor Harmful. May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Causes eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Avoid breathing vapor or spray mist. If you experience eye watering, headaches, dizziness or have difficulty breathing, increase fresh air or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH/MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) or leave the area to obtain fresh air. Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling contents may be harmful or fatal.

WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER, AND BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM.

FIRST AID - IF SWALLOWED, do not induce vomiting. CALL PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY. In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with water and get medical attention; for skin contact, wash thoroughly and get medical attention if irritation persists. If overcome by vapors, remove to fresh air and get medical attention. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
They go on to say:
Do not use as a general purpose cleaner. May soften or damage plastics, synthetics and other finishes. Do not use on linoleum, rubber, asphalt tile and fiberglass.
Contains organic solvents which may cause adverse effects to the environment if disposed of improperly. Place empty containers in normal refuse for disposal. Contact your local sanitation department or household hazardous waste coordinator for information concerning possible reuse or disposal of unused solvent-containing products.

Quick Reply: Cleanin the Chamber