Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed wheel bearing and still makes noise...Wellllpp!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Changed wheel bearing and still makes noise...Wellllpp!

hey guys... my car started making a sort of whining noise from the rear end, and I searched the forums, and came up with...the WHEEL BEARINGS!!!

Okay, so I was gonna replace it myself, because when i turn the wheel to the right, the noise goes louder... when i turn the wheel to the left, the noise stops, which means the right wheel bearing.

So i took it to a garage, and they said that the wheel has alot of shake to it... and it is the wheel bearing.. so he took the tire off and the wheel bearing he said looked bad and replaced it.

So i drive my car, and realise that the noise is STILL THERE and as loud/louder than ever..It happens when i turn the wheel to the right (same as last time)

Mechanic said that it is probally the left wheel bearing going, but I really doubt that, because I dont think changing this wheel bearing on the right side did anything but **** my audi off more and make it whine even more.

My girlfirends dad is a mechanic and is going to take a look at it tommorow, but does anyone have any suggestions (CV joint,ETC) that it could be? Could my mechanic have put the bearing in not square? I mean the noise it makes is kinda like

MOOOOO MOOO MOOOOOO MOOOOOO (like if your a guy, try to sing that in the highest pitch you can, and it creates that noise)

BTW, I rotated my tires to make sure it wasnt a slipped belt. I looked at my rotars, and they are kinda beat... could i just have really warped rotors?

**** audis man, im just tryin to sell this beast and it keeps biting me all the way to its doom

Old 04-14-2007, 03:45 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Changed wheel bearing and still makes noise...Wellllpp!

btw i forgot to mention its a 99 a4 2.8 v6 quatro

Old 04-14-2007, 09:57 AM
4th Gear

Could be tire noise. Rotate the tires and see if the noise follows the tires.

Could also be your rear differential. When is the last time you checked the gear oil or replaced it.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

It very well could be your left bearing thats bad and you changed the wrong one. You state it makes more noise when turning right. Turning right throws more pressure on the left bearing not the right. You got your info a little backwards there. Just trying to help here.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:42 PM
4th Gear

It could be that they were both bad.
Have the left side inspected / replaced.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

they are both bad, i beleive...

I did rotate my tires, as I said, and I'm pretty sure its the side that the load is on that makes the noise...

I dont know about gear oil or rear differential... I hopee its not that lol...I didnt even knwo i ******* had to replace gear oil.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

You don't have to change the oil, so relax. But as stated before, you seem to have it all wrong, since turning the wheel right loads the left rear (and front for that matter) bearing and vice versa. Change the other bearing and you are fine.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

I thought i read that it comes from the side that the load is on?? That is what I read, anyway...

Old 04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
4th Gear

When you turn right you load the left wheel. When you turn left you load
the right wheel. Like a number of previous posters said, change the other
rear wheel bearing.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:25 PM
4th Gear

That is correct ^.

To the person who says that you don't need to change differential gear oil, that is also correct. You don't HAVE to change any of the fluids in a car. However, if you want the car to last 200K miles plus, it helps to get the metal shavings out of things like transmissions, differentials etc.

Quick Reply: Changed wheel bearing and still makes noise...Wellllpp!