Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my atf fluid/filter today

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Site Moderator
Default Changed my atf fluid/filter today

Not too big of a deal, about 3 hours work - most of the time was spent removing and putting back the freaking 20-30 bolts that hold the pan in place. Car changes gears WAY better. My car only had 77K miles and it made a huge difference. Lifetime tranny oil that Audi insists is a myth. My car had been slipping on occasion in 3rd gear under hig rpm... now its smooth as silk. BTW, Mobil 1 MERCON V is rated for Audi ZF tranny... which is what I used.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Changed my atf fluid/filter today

Cool. Did you use vag com to check the atf temp as you were filling? I remember doing mine... It was fun.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: brrman

Not too big of a deal, about 3 hours work - most of the time was spent removing and putting back the freaking 20-30 bolts that hold the pan in place. Car changes gears WAY better. My car only had 77K miles and it made a huge difference. Lifetime tranny oil that Audi insists is a myth. My car had been slipping on occasion in 3rd gear under hig rpm... now its smooth as silk. BTW, Mobil 1 MERCON V is rated for Audi ZF tranny... which is what I used.
I wrote to mobile and asked about transmission fluid and here's their reply to me...

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

-Matt Jacob

Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Could you post the instructions on how you did the fluid change. I have a 98 2.8tq and want to change my fluid as well, but the only instructions on audidy.com are for 5 speed 1.8t

Old 08-20-2007, 06:17 AM
4th Gear

Nice. I'm at 188K miles and have done drain and fills twice. When I hit 200, it will be time for pan drop and new filter.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:43 AM

is the filter there when you take off the pan?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Site Moderator

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html For A8, but same concept
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/ For A4/Passat

Old 08-20-2007, 07:30 AM
1st Gear

Thanks man!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Redrum1

ORIGINAL: brrman

I wrote to mobile and asked about transmission fluid and here's their reply to me...

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

-Matt Jacob
The 12v has a different type of auto tranny, it might still be a ZF tranny, but its still different, and maybe thats why? IDK.
After reading conflicting stories about what is compatible or equivilent, I just said "**** it" and picked up some oem Pentosin fluidat www.purems.com for pretty cheap.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear

Nice that is on my list of todo after i get my TB changed, have u tackled a brake bleed yet how was that if so.

Quick Reply: Changed my atf fluid/filter today