Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catching up on some work..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:40 AM
Site Moderator
Default Catching up on some work..

Just ordered a new tranny filter/gasket/fluid and two new outter tie rods. My steering has gone to **** within the last few weeks!! My tie rods are so shot im scared to drive on them anymore. When I had my car up to do the brakes about a week ago, I could see that there is about a half inch of play on each side. This explains my wandering/unstable driveline problem. In the last week it has gotten real clanky and noisy. The control arms and bushings look great still actually. Anyway my tranny hasnt been buttery smooth shifting lately either and I dont even know when the last time the fluid was changed and its at 83k now! So im just a little anxious to get this done and felt like posting... Let me know all about how your tip tranny fluid/filter and tie rod changes went if you experienced it!

Filter/gasket= $30
Fluid (8qts)=$95
Tie Rods (Meyle)=$68

So for a total of $193, that doesnt feel so bad when i consider the dealer would hit me up for more than $500 just for the tranny service. Ill have to get an alignment after the tie rods are in...

Old 11-28-2006, 11:50 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Catching up on some work..

Good luck with everything!! And your right, your saving a sh*tload by not going through the dealer.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

i did my outer tie rods about six months ago and what a difference, had the same problem that you are having and i was scared to drive, the only problem i have now is it feels like the rubber pads are gone that go on either end of the springs, sounds really shi**y. good luck on the work, should take no time at all.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 PM
4th Gear

Tie rods were pretty easy, it will def fix your issues. Get the Meyle HD ones, they were like 50 apiece, but they look about twice as beefy as the OEM version.

When you DIY this, count the threads showing on the current TRE before you take it off. Or mark it with something. Then When you put the new one on try to screw it in exactly the same threads and then tighten the bolt to lock it in place. The TRE's kind of screw out from the inner once you get the knuckle end off.
If you get it the same amount threads, and your car was in alignment before they went bad, you MIGHT get away with not needing an alignment. Otherwise you'll want to do that too.

Not sure about the tranny.

Getting some use out of that garage now aren't ya?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM
4th Gear

Get a 4 wheel alignment after replacing the tie rod ends.

This link should help you locate a good alignment shop.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Old 11-28-2006, 01:15 PM
3rd Gear

I need to change my front axle with boots driver and passenger side... I think I will let mechanics to do it.

good luck with your work man...

Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
3rd Gear

good luck with the work, you going to get an Alignment when your done? probibly wont need it for just tie rods..

Old 11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: aRIf

I need to change my front axle with boots driver and passenger side... I think I will let mechanics to do it.

Really??? That one looks like a pretty easy DIY, especially for someone who did their own turbo install!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

ORIGINAL: aRIf

Really??? That one looks like a pretty easy DIY, especially for someone who did their own turbo install!
I think he was just wanting to see how everyone else's went.... is there any tip to getting the fluid into the Tip Tranny? I need to do mine soon too!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Site Moderator

Ya I got the Meyle HD TRE's from purems.com and they were only $34 each and they come with the nuts/hardware needed... Sort of an unheard of price for the Meyles from my research? I will mark the old threads on the old tre's before taking them out and count them on the new ones. Im thinking it will need an alignment anyway because its a little off as it is and i have no record of the last alignment. Its just scary because when im driving straight, i can turn my steering wheel slightly to the left and right without actually making the car turn. If I launch from a stop she'll pull to the right or left big time and I am just constanly having to correct the steering/driveline. It makes driving it more tiring and frustrating actually. Now since i got the noises, its unbearable.
ARIF I can help you out with your axles if you want. At least you can use my garage if you want. Ace might want to help out too?

Quick Reply: Catching up on some work..