Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAT Install and DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:14 AM
1st Gear
Default CAT Install and DIY

Can anyone offer advice as to whether installing a new catalytic converter on a 99 A4 Quattro is a job that can be done by someone with average mechanical ability? Also is there a preferred converter? My mechanic is saying that there are no aftermarket CATs that seem to bolt up cleanly and that going with OEM is best (which I find hard to believe?????

Old 10-13-2005, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: CAT Install and DIY

That's a load of crap. There are after market cat's out there. Just look around. I bought a high flo cat for mine and installed it in my garage.

To install the new cat you have to remove the air box to gain access to the cat/turbo bolts and remove the O2 sensors. You unbolt the cat from the downpipe, and remove the cat and put in the new one. It;s not hard work it just is a PIA.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear

Yep there are plent out there.

You can even use a universal, measure yours and get one close to your size. Cut off your old flanges and have them welded onto your old one.

If you have a 1.8T, i'm positive they make direct AFTERMARKET replacements.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

Here's what you need man. Labree makes good stuff from what I've heard and they are quite a bit cheaper than any other aftermarket HFC I've seen. Definetly don't go back with OEM. If you've got to spend money you might as wel get more power. I'll be getting one myself within the next few months.

Labree HFC

Old 10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

techtonics tuning also makes a highflow cat.... you could also go for a test pipe if you dont have to worry about emissions, would give you a little big more powert/torque, considerably faster spool time and be about 1/2 the price.

for test pipes

labree
euro code
atp turbo

Old 10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear

That's not too bad. I'm in Pa, so I'd cut that bitch out and replace it with a resonator or take the baffles and **** out of it.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

I had every intentions of getting a test pipe but reconsidered for several reasons. First, if Alabama ever went to emissions testing I'd have to put the cat back on. Second, there's no way around it, you're gonna get a CEL (there are ways to clear though). Last, I've heard that with a test pipe and a cat-back exhaust our cars are annoyingly loud. If you rev it up in neutral enough to hit boost, the exhaust will pop. Plus, the dB are too loud for comfortable highway driving. I'm not incredibly bothered by noise, but I have an Audi. They aren't suppose to be loud IMO. I'm sure the HFC is more restrictive than a test pipe but it should still help quite a bit especially if you ever go with a K04 or a Garret.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:00 PM
3rd Gear

i have a labree hfc on my k04 setup, it works great,no cel or any other problems..........y do u think u need a new cat?

Old 10-13-2005, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Good to hear this ^^ Just ordered LaBree HFC this morning (along with Borla catback and K04)

Old 10-13-2005, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear

i wish i had da borla....im still on a stock cat bak

Quick Reply: CAT Install and DIY