Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car totalled

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 09:45 PM
1st Gear
Default car totalled

hey, so i think my car was totalled in an accident last night, and i spoke with my insurance about what would happen if the car was damaged beyond repair, and he said that someone would evaluate the car and make us an offer, if anyone knows anything about this and if they give blue book value on the car or not, let me know

Old 08-15-2006, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: car totalled

www.kbb.org

you can use that to find its blue book value... sucks to hear that you wrecked your ride man

Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
3rd Gear

It all depends on who your insurance carrier is and how long you have been insured with them. If you are a long term customer and have a good history with them, they will total it if they can. They can find the value from a lot of different ways. Insurance companies don't typically use KBB for car values. They have their own directory of what cars are worth and what they can get for them if they sell them to a salvage company. A lot of companies will determine a totalled car by how much damage there is. The most common number is 60%. If the damage of the vehicle is 60% or more of the cars value, they will total it. Good luck. I just got finished with my Honda that was flooded. It was a wreck. They wouldn't total it but gave me 7k in damages and I sold the car to a salvage company for 6k. If they aren't going to total it, ask them about selling to salvage and if they can find a couple of companies to buy it.

I'm an underwriter for an insurance company, so if you have any questions or need some advice, pm me and I can try to help. Hang in there.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 AM
1st Gear

What Year A4 do you have?

I work at a car dealership and got my audi through my dealership and ran all the auction and book reports myself and found that my 2001 is so over valued on kbb combared to MMR. Fact is that if I drove my car off the lot today and it was totaled I would be 3000 to 4000 dollars ahead of what I paid for it a week ago. Like cary said if you have a good relationship and history and it gets totaled out, right now the market will be very good for you to get much more then value on your audi.

If there was a time to total your audi it was now. Cheers.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it, my insurer is mercury and they've been good to me in the past so i hope i can get at least close to blue book and like DaMoose said that is pretty good right now

Old 08-16-2006, 05:03 AM
2nd Gear

thank god your alright and you have your health... As sad as it sounds an audi can be replaced while on the other hand your life cannot. Hopefully everything works out for the best for ya. not to be a jerk, but If, it is totaled then ill take your GFB hybrid BOV

Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 AM

when i wrecked my old car i almost had it totaled with State Farm and it was 60%, and they did use KBB for me. I didnt want it totalled and i told them that,a nd that i would then just be selling it privately. Im not sure what the estimate was percent wise, but they did go off KBB for me. I think it may depend on the car. IF u have a higher end carrier then they prolly wont try and screw u by totalling it and not giving u much on the car. BUt i am on parents insurance,and we have 4 cars full coverage, 20 yrs + on it, and everything else like house and everything is thru them. Hope that helps u understand a lil, by what happened with me. Call and talk to ur agent, and tehy should be able to tell u, and getting on there good side prolly isnt a bad idea, so dont yell at them.