Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Can't remove factory radio

Hi guys. I'm having problems removing the factory radio. I have the radio removal tools and was able to use them a few months ago. Back then, I had to take the radio out in order to replace a blown fuse. After replacing the fuse, I put the radio back in and when I went to remove the tools, the right one didn't want to come out easily and I had to wiggle it a lot in order to take it out of the radio (but it finally did after a few tries).

Fast forward to yesterday. I tried to use them again but the right one is giving me problems again. It's not latching on to whatever it needs to catch inside. The left one goes in and I hear a click and stays in place but the right one doesn't. It just goes in but I can just pull it out easily. I don't know if something was bent a few months ago when I wiggled it.

Has anyone had any similar problems? Any other ideas how to remove the radio or will I have to bring the car to a dealer so they can do it?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Can't remove factory radio

Yup its a bitch. Try going to a vw or audi dealer and ask them to slide out your radio. They shouldnt have a problem doing that unless you want them to disonnect any wiring. They slid mine out for free when i was doing my amp/sub install. After I was done, i needed to slide it out again and ordered the radio removal keys and they didnt work. The tools the dealers use is better. Tell them you are going to be looking to buy a car soon and that should sweeten them doing a favor for you.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear

Jason,

is there a place to connect amp on our stereo ?

Old 11-07-2006, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

onepoint8tee, thank you for your reply. So did you end up buying the same tools that the dealer has or do you still need to bring it to them whenever you need to slide it out?

Old 11-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: aRIf

Jason,

is there a place to connect amp on our stereo ?
You can hook up female RCA's to any stereo for a preamp output. Just a matter of splicing.

coolvirus:The tool the dealer uses is like $50 and i didnt buy it. I never ended up having luck with the keys i bought so i just said F it. I thought i had my wiring messed up but it turned out to be a bad ground for the amp hooked up in the trunk.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

$50?? wow, that's a bit much. But I may have no choice. I'm sure that I'll need to slide the radio out a few more times while I build my stereo system and I don't want to have to bring the car back to the dealer every single time.

Man, that sucks.

Thank you the reply though.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:47 PM
3rd Gear

you can get them on ebay. i got some and they work fine. coolvirus what you did when you wiggled it out is you bent the clip (basically tore it up) in order to get the keys out you have to press in a medal clip on the side before you put the radio back in. then the head just slides right in and clicks into place. I would troubleshoot it. use different keys in diff. slots etc. just mess with it until it will slide out then dismantle that clip. you'll be fine with three. that way your keys will still work. is it symphony or concert?

Old 11-07-2006, 05:48 PM

removal tools not that expensive on eBay that is

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...ols&category0=

Old 11-07-2006, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

These are the tools I have:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-AUDI-SEAT-S...QQcmdZViewItem

smokeU: My radio is a concert. I tried switching the keys to no avail. Whichever one goes in the right slot doesn't latch on to anything. It does sound like the problem I have is what you said: probably a bent metal clip. I'd love to dismantle it if could slide the radio out.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:13 PM

only other way is to go in from the back of the radio, some tips here I think

http://images.google.co.uk/images?so...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Quick Reply: Can't remove factory radio