Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can somebody help me please? I think the accessory belt popped out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Can somebody help me please? I think the accessory belt popped out!

Whoa people you guys need some education on the 3.0L engine. First off the tensioner on the 3.0L engine has a massive spring that would take off your head if you were to un-load it without the special tool and has NEVER come loose EVER!!!!!!!! You need to hand turn the each pulley and make sure something is not dragging, it could be the a/c compressor or the alternator ect. Another possiblity is someone put the power steering pulley on backwards which eventually throws the belt right off.
Plus the timing belt on the 3.0L engine should be changed at the 80k mark, NO LATER! Im getting tired of replacing 3.0L cylinder heads from snapped timing belts at the 90k mark or so.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Here's the bad news.....

Well, first off I wanted to say thanks guys. You guys are all so very sweet. Here's the sad part, the problem is located at the lower right hand side. I believe it's called the AC compressor. That's what the 76 gas station mechanic said, but he refuses to do the repair work. The belt is definitely not broken, and as a matter fact, the it's in very good condition. By looking at the AC compressor,the pulley looks warped. I stuck my hands in there totouch it, andthere is some play. It not a simple problem where you can just replace the pulley part that holds the belt in place, but instead the entire AC compressor needs to be replaced. It's definitely broken though.Now how hard is it to replace the AC compressor, and what's the cost for a rebuilt one.These parts don't often go out right? How can this happento a car withjust a little over50,000 miles? Does anyoneknow if there's a recall on this part? Also, my car just hit a little over 50,000, and it's a 2003 a4 3.0 quatro. Does anyone knowif the warranty still exists?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:59 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Here's the bad news.....

u mean the a/c compressor? the a/c condenser doesn't have a pulley, it looks like the radiator. well im prety sure u can get just a pulley for it. and it's quite a bit of work i think. auditech79 take over!! lol

Old 09-25-2007, 03:27 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Here's the bad news.....

Yeah its your a/c compressor as hiwords said, if there is play in the compressor the entire unit has to be replaced, especially on a 3.0L model. I also have bad news for you, the part isn't cheap, plus you have to re-charge the a/c system after the new compressor is installed. So your looking at a $900 repair at the dealer at least.