Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get a larger gas tank for '06 A4 2.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Tech Slut
Default RE: Can I get a larger gas tank for '06 A4 2.0T?

ruski has a point. like the police interceptor crown vic's. they thru oversize tanks in them for longevity during chases n such... but man do the explode when drunk drivers rearend them... (c'mon... who else would hit a cop car?)... The racing fuel cells have a synthetic "spongelike" device in them to prevent such events.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:09 AM
1st Gear

step 1: buy a u-haul
step 2: put a 50gallon tank in there
step 3: hook it up to your existing gas tank
step 4: drive from new york tocalifornia with no stops, not even for sleep

OR

step 1: buy a 50gallon tank
step 2: attach it to your roof
step 3: hook it up to your existing gas tank
step 4: drive from california to new york

lol...

Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 AM
1st Gear

I love how myths like these just keep on circulating, unquestioned:

1) A gallon of gasoline weighs between 5.8 and 6.5 lbs. depending on octaine, source, and time of year(water weights 8.3 lbs.--gas is petrol based, therefore lighter). If I would add 20 gallons, that would only be 130 lbs. on the outside-- that's like adding my wife as a passenger, or an extra 3.4% of the car's total weight. Now, thanks to my onboard computer, I know that WITH my wife and luggage, I completed a VA-NH trip, including stops, tolls, traffic, ect averaging 30.8mpg. So, the added weight is negligible, and would decrease mileage very little, if any.

2) This one gets me every time--mostly from people who watch too many action movies...and blur special effects and the real world. Cars do not "blow up"! You can check "Mythbusters"-- they've done an episode on it, or you can just ask a fireman(my wife was a firefighter/EMT and her brother is a firefighter). On VERY rare occasions, when gasoline or oil spills out after an accident, it may catch fire and after several minutes, burn the car, but unless its carrying compressed O2 or trinitrotoluene or an actual explosive, it will not "blow up". The reason is very simple: petrol liquids do not burn! It's the VAPOR from the liquids which reacts with oxygen and a spark/fire source that creates fire. A good example is right inside your engine-- fuel injecters spray gas VAPOR that react with the spark from the spark plugs and COMPRESSED AIR to create the explosions to drive your pistons down. If any one of these factors/ingredients are not just right, you're not going anywhere. So, no explosion, and no less safe than a stock audi.

Now, I'm not currently in the States, so it's kinda hard to talk to some shops, but I've been asking around some of the 'car guys' here, and it's basically unanimous that it would be more trouble than it's worth. My buddy Jake, who used to work at a harley shop, said the easiest way would be for someone to make a tank that would mount in my trunk, and run a line from that tank to my existing fuel line. He said it would mess up my computer as far as it not properly registering full/empty and the trip mileage would be wrong, but that was about it. It was more of a "what if.." idea than an actual plan anyway. Oh well.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:20 AM
1st Gear

You would basically be looking at a expansion tank that you could basically bolt in your trunk, and a separate fuel pump (same PSI as stock) and a switch to swich which one gets activated..

What is the purpose for you doing this? Gas stations are infrequent where you travel? If so, just carrying around 4 5 gallon tanks in your trunk would be a much easyer way of doing it.. Or what is your reason?

Your looking at close to 1k for a properly done setup, all said and done.. but then 4 5 gallon tanks are 100 bucks... And easily removed.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 AM
1st Gear

when i had my toyota 4x4 i had an extra 20 gallon tank that wnet where the spare tire was, it would empty iself via a pump ino the stock tank, worked great bu i did need to add a second filler neck. i dont see why something like this couldnt be worked out on your audi.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lazer Viking
is it really that inconvenient to stop every 400 or so miles ?
Im still waiting for the answer to this question^...
Do you really have nothing better to do with your money?

Old 04-11-2007, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

No, I live in an urban area. I have no problem finding a gas station. The idea for enlarging my tank is a solution for a singular problem. One event.