Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get a larger gas tank for '06 A4 2.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Can I get a larger gas tank for '06 A4 2.0T?

I'm sure this is not a common issue, but I was wondering if it is possible to get a larger gas tank(or enlarge existing)for my 2006 2.0T A4 Quattro? I was thinking in the 30-40gal. range. Is this something that a normal Audi/VW shop can handle(maybe swap it out for a larger one), or will I have to go to some sort of custom shop to have something made, and possibly lose trunk space? And if it will be a custom job, does anyone have a clue of what I should expect to pay for something like this? $100s? $1000s? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Can I get a larger gas tank for '06 A4 2.0T?

lol - are you serious!! I bet your also looking for a way to install a little (very little) hose so that you can **** in the car and never have to stop.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

HAHAHA! I figured it would be at least a few replies and answers from me before that came up! Done it before?

btw: gatorade bottles work just fine for me

Old 04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

This is not a usual request. I'm new to audis, but not to cars, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But there is probably no direct swappable gas tank. I mean unless one year of Audi increased it's fuel capacity. But even then normal car gas tanks will hold 18 gallons max. 30-40 gallons is a LOT of fuel. First off you are going to decrease your fuel efficiency toting around that much gas. Just from the increased weight of 40 gallons of gas. But if you are serious about it you'd probably have to go to a custom shop. it will most likely cost you over a $1000 to fabricate something like this, and you're resale on the car will plumment. not only cause it's impractical, but also you will lose a lot of trunk space and you probably will not be able to pass many state inspections(depending on where you live).

That being saidmany race cars use fuel cells mounted in the trunk. Granted because they go in race cars they are generally small like~ 5 gallons. However that is an option that a good fabricator might be able to work with. Also you can have someone completely fabricate you a new fuel tank. However if you wanted to save your trunk space you'd have to replace your existing tank and I doubt there is an extra 14-24 gallons worth of space under there.But even if they could fabricate a 25 gallon tank you'd probably lose some emissions(evap and such) sensors. A fab job like this will get into the 1000s.

Not sure what you are trying to gain. but anything with a fuel tank approaching 30 gallons is going to be a huge truck or SUV and your gas mileage is going to plummet. If you're looking for more miles from the tank I'd say a hybrid is your best option.It's totally legal and your resale will be good(especially as gas prices go up).

Mike

Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
4th Gear

maybe one out of a q7 ?
probably not a direct swap, but i dont see why it couldnt be done

is it really that inconvenient to stop every 400 or so miles ?
or are you doing the dakkar rally or something ? lol

Old 04-10-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

is it really worth it to swap out a gas tank to get 5 extra gallons? I mean, you're constrained by the amount of room you have, and with all wheel drive, there isn't much, so no matter what you do the results will not be dramatic enough to make a swap worth it. keep your RPMs under 3500 if you wanna go further on a tank of gas.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

30-40 gallons? maybe you should get one made and have them put a wall down the middle of it so you can have 20 gallons of gas going to the engine and then you ccan fill the other half with gatorade or a drink of your choice and have it like one of those camelbacks bikers wear.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:31 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: cstarky15

30-40 gallons? maybe you should get one made and have them put a wall down the middle of it so you can have 20 gallons of gas going to the engine and then you ccan fill the other half with gatorade or a drink of your choice and have it like one of those camelbacks bikers wear.
That would be cool!!!! XS energy drinks!!!! SO GOOD!!!! And you could make it refrigerated using the AC form the car!!!! That would be awesome!

Josh

Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Tech Slut

yea sound like it would be cheaper to hire an airforce refuelingjet to follow u around so u can just fill up on the fly. haha. but no... it would add alot of weight to an already very heavy car. i know people who are worried about the weight gains from a sound system let alone an EXTRA 25 gallons. water is like 6.5 pounds per gallon or something n gasoline cant be too far off that. we r talking some serious weight, plus your mpg will only get worse.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

Carrying that much gas in a car not designed for it, could be VERY dangerous. Unless you got some kind of a deathwish, i would suggest just filling up every 400k and calling it a day. With such a project, you car might get a good 50 feet of air from the explossion if someone rear-ended you, but that would be it :P

Quick Reply: Can I get a larger gas tank for '06 A4 2.0T?