Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

calling bullsh**!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: calling bullsh**!

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

heights matter, width doesnt
When I got my wheels, back in december. The guy was kept asking me, now you don't have a quattro right? over and over, because he was sooo sure that your could'nt run wheels of different
"width" on a quattro. haha

Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm make believe

nobody wants to be liable for breaking stuff.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, that's some major BS. If a variation in tread wear damaged Quattro, why in the hell would Audi include spare tires? Obviously the wear on the spare would differ from what's already on the car. There would be f'd up Audis lining the side of the roads if this were the case.

Just my 2 cents. I know,anything I say isprobably only worth half that.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Slut

well, just to let you know, i have run all kinds of tire/wheel setups on mmy a4 when i have needed to "limp" home. and have never had a problem with my drivetrain. its almost certainly a misalignment problem. dont sweat it.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: incrementalg

Yeah, that's some major BS. If a variation in tread wear damaged Quattro, why in the hell would Audi include spare tires? Obviously the wear on the spare would differ from what's already on the car. There would be f'd up Audis lining the side of the roads if this were the case.
You do know that a spare is a temp tire right?

Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear

so then I should still be alright with buying the one tire, especially since the other three are all fairly new and have plenty of tread left on them. The one that is the problem is the oldest tire on the car and has not been changed out as of yet. All the others were changed out due to warrenty issues. There is no alignment problems that I am aware of. I believe that everything will be ok. Also if there has been no damage as of yet with the one tire being much older than the rest, I'm sure it will be fine from with the new one.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm make believe

im not a huge fan of buying a single tire. Only buy 2 or 4 personally

Old 01-13-2008, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

You do know that a spare is a temp tire right?
LOL...I know, but you don't see a warning lable with a diagram of a flaming Quattro taped to the spare. I don't disagree that runninga completely different tire on one wheelcould cause a problem, but I don't think tread variation between like tires is gonna nuke the torsen.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: CLX

If you had a TT or A3, you get 4motion with a Quattro badge
actually they have a Haldex Quattro system, which can run as front wheel drive only. Efficiency goes up when traction isn't needed. When a front tire slips more than 1/16 a rotation, the car sends power to the rear tires. With our Torsen quattro system 90% is the max amount of torque any end can get

AUDI05- told ya you can put staggered width on quattro

Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: EVOLA4

so then I should still be alright with buying the one tire, especially since the other three are all fairly new and have plenty of tread left on them. The one that is the problem is the oldest tire on the car and has not been changed out as of yet. All the others were changed out due to warrenty issues. There is no alignment problems that I am aware of. I believe that everything will be ok. Also if there has been no damage as of yet with the one tire being much older than the rest, I'm sure it will be fine from with the new one.
if you only put on 1 tire you will end up having uneven wearing and be stuck replacing a tire at a time. at least buy 2 and put them on the front or back. dont swap side to side

Quick Reply: calling bullsh**!