Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Default RE: A/C Problems

don't tell him what you know (ask him what he put in)

Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Dave,

Before I go talk to him I should probably make sure I know exactly what you have listed out. Is this referring to the freon that he would have added, or is their something else that he would have added (oil?)? I thought the numbers were something like R134A or something.....is that just for the freon? Is freon universal but the oil he is supposed to be using Audi specific?

Thanks again

Old 07-31-2006, 06:45 PM

the R134 (A) sorry cough is the freon gas the oil is specific as is the gas and its not universal Audi specific, though other companies use it but im talking Audi only specifications.

edit: while im on the Audi site the information I give is only for the Audi not to be confused with Honda and that type of jap crap lol

Old 07-31-2006, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

So I should ask him

what freon gas he used (R134 (A)).

what oil he used (GO52)?

since they are both 1994-11.97, they both should be 650-700 grams. That is the freon right?

Sorry I just know nothing about this and don't want to screw myself over by not knowing what I am talking about.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:58 PM

you have it right mate, remember the more you tell him the better he will come up with an excuse get him to put it to paper/receipt then come what I have said ill back my information to the hilt because its from Audi,

remember the oil type (Zexel or Denso)

Old 07-31-2006, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

OK, so I just got off the phone with the local Audi dealership as well as my mechanic.

The dealership had looked at my A4 about a month ago, and quoted me $1775 to fix my A/C. The only thing they said was "Coolant Temp. Sensor & Leak". Of course, I didn't do that and went and got it charged (which didn't work). Now, I finally get the dealership to look up the technician's notes from that visit and they tell me this:

"Ambient Temperature Switch. Leaking - Evaporator Core. $575 Parts, $1200 Labor".

So, I call my mechanic and tell him the dealership wants to know what he used for the recharge. He seemed really surprised and was like "well of course, you use 134...do they think I'm a dumbass...etc...etc... Then about the oil he says you dont need to do that, don't want to overflow the thing or something like that. Basically saying that he never adds oil for a recharge and doesn't think it needs to be done. Is this right or does he not know what hes doing?

Now, of course, I am hopeful that this ambient temp switch is the problem - does this make sense. Originally, the dealership said it was the coolant temp sensor, and didn't even mention this ambient temp. switch. I am not gonna get my hopes up too high though because that doesn't explain why I am having the same problem on both Audis.

So, he wants me to bring in the A4 tonight, pick up the 100S, order up this ambient temp switch, and try that. Should I just see what happens with this switch and go from there, or push furhter on this oil issue?

Old 08-01-2006, 07:23 AM

I think the guy didn't do the job right for starters (he drained the system then didn't add the oil) no wonder it wont work how long do you think the engine would run without oil , ambient temp sensor or internal temp sensor same thing really and its an electronic switch so I don't see haw that can leak,

questions to be asked is - does the system leak is it from the Evaporator Core and why didn't the mechanic see this (because he didn't test the system after the refill) just not good enough[:@]

Old 08-01-2006, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, that last post might have been confusing. They reported two things being wrong. 1. The ambient temp switch. they didn't say what was wrong, I'm just assuming it needs to be replaced. We found one for like $35. 2. The Evaporator Core is leaking.

Now, I understand that if the evaporator core is leaking so bad that it won't hold freon for more than a couple days I am basically screwed because I am not gonna pay $1300-$1400 to have that fixed. However, if it will hold a charge for a year or so that would be fine and I would just have to recharge every summer or whatever.

As far as adding the oil, he said he always adds the amount of oil specified if he changes a component of the A/C system (compressor or whatever). So I guess when he says drain the system he is just draining the freon, but you are saying he should have drained both the freon and the oil? Would this be a common practice for A/C recharges because he seems to think the idea is ridiculous, and I know he does a lot of recharges, just not necesarily on audis.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:50 PM
4th Gear

You can buy cans of R134a with a preassure guage lubricant and stop leak. If the temperature switch is bad try the low setting.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:22 PM

Now, I understand that if the evaporator core is leaking so bad that it won't hold freon for more than a couple days I am basically screwed because I am not gonna pay $1300-$1400 to have that fixed. However, if it will hold a charge for a year or so that would be fine and I would just have to recharge every summer or whatever.,
exactly my point if it holds for a year then there is no leak.

As far as adding the oil, he said he always adds the amount of oil specified if he changes a component of the A/C system (compressor or whatever). So I guess when he says drain the system he is just draining the freon, but you are saying he should have drained both the freon and the oil? Would this be a common practice for A/C recharges because he seems to think the idea is ridiculous, and I know he does a lot of recharges, just not necessarily on Audi's.
when you drain the system you also drain the oil (its part of the refill) there is no separate place to add oil it goes in with the freon gas unless your doing a top up only

Quick Reply: A/C Problems