Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break pads light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:45 AM
Default Break pads light on

Got a couple questions about the break pads light:

1. What's the possible causing of the break pads light to switch on?

2. If it's the break pads? Is it the front or the rear? Do you need to replace them both?

3. What's is the best yet inexpensive break pads set for my car? Where to get it at?

Thanks for all you your help.[/align]
[/align]

Old 01-10-2007, 07:36 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Break pads light on

i think you'll have to look at the pads. and pads are relatively inexpensive, depends on who is running a sale locally.. there's a wire that comes off the pad. and when the pad wears down to the point where the loop wire is severed, it triggers the light. i don't know if there's a way to tell which one, but it should be pretty obvious if you take a look at the pads. either there's pad left, or not. it shouldn't take much to tell the difference between a pad that needs to be changed, and one that doesn't. if the caliber is close to the disc, you need a new one?

Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 AM
4th Gear

Brake pad indicators are for front wheels only. This same indicator
also indicates low brake fluid. Add brake fluid.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

1. Front inside pads have the sensor on them. If they're worn it's an indication you should have all your brakes inspected.

2. The indicator is only on the fronts, however you should have them all inspected as the rears have no sensors.

3. Best is subjective and depends heavily on what you define as best, and what qualities you're looking for. Search the archives, and you'll find a ton of information about dozens of great pads.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Site Moderator

Mintex red box if your not trying to get crazy and want good stopping power.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 AM

When my brake pad sensor lit up, I checked the front pads and found that there was plenty of life left on them. Seems like they are pretty conservative with the amount of wear needed to break the connection and light the icon on the display. Also, my rear pads wore out far before the fronts did, so the whole concept is a bit gimmicky and flakyif you ask me.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:35 PM
4th Gear

As I posted, the same indicator is used for low brake fluid.
Add DOT 4 brake fluid.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

only the front wheels brake pads have sensors on them..that was the problem on my 01 s4 when the light came on they all looked fine but light was still on so i took all pads out and it was one of the inside pads was down to metal with the sensor ripped right off and that i could not tell from just having the wheel off and looing i had to change the pads anyway...you can get beck oem pads for like 60 bucks....or mintek red pads are highly recommended without breaking the bank...

Old 01-16-2007, 01:01 AM

Great info and help, guys, thank you very much.

I just check the pads, and I think it needs to change.

So I'm going to order Mintex front and rear pads that you guys recommended, and change all of them.

I might also add some more break fluid too.

After the pads is changed, do you need to reset the ABS to erase the light or it will go away automattically?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2007, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

And learn the difference between break and brake.

Quick Reply: Break pads light on