Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New A4 has Distorted Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brand New A4 has Distorted Windshield

So here's something interesting....

I just picked up a 2004 A4 yesterday - it has the same thing. Don't really notice it on the passenger side - definitely on the driver's side. My girlfriend doesn't notice a thing. I have glasses so I was thinking maybe it was the combo with my glasses/windshield. I had a friend with 20/20 drive it and she noticed it immediately. So I'm not crazy - the thing is distorted!

I'm going to try to have the dealer replace it, or WHOOPS a rock will hit it and I'll go through insurance.

But here's the interesting part - I drove 4 A4s in the process of picking a car out - and it was in EVERY CAR I DROVE. What are the odds? ? ?

Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Any advice on getting the dealer to see it and replace it would be helpful1!!!

KB

Old 09-30-2006, 11:56 AM
18T
4th Gear

i work for audi and i have yet to see this.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

I've always hated this problem. Pain in the ***. Always made me woozy.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: KBIGGZ

I drove 4 A4s in the process of picking a car out - and it was in EVERY CAR I DROVE. What are the odds? ? ?

KB

maybe your eyes just aren't as good as they used to be

Seriously though, I would just save up and buy a new windshield. The less you have to deal with insurance, they easier your life will be.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Site Moderator

I knew a service manager for VW and he talked several times about customers coming back complaining about distortions in their Passats windshields. Leave it to the Germans to put all their effort into the glue that holds the dash down instead of the machines that forge their parts.....

Old 11-16-2006, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: KBIGGZ

So here's something interesting....

I just picked up a 2004 A4 yesterday - it has the same thing. Don't really notice it on the passenger side - definitely on the driver's side. My girlfriend doesn't notice a thing. I have glasses so I was thinking maybe it was the combo with my glasses/windshield. I had a friend with 20/20 drive it and she noticed it immediately. So I'm not crazy - the thing is distorted!

I'm going to try to have the dealer replace it, or WHOOPS a rock will hit it and I'll go through insurance.

But here's the interesting part - I drove 4 A4s in the process of picking a car out - and it was in EVERY CAR I DROVE. What are the odds? ? ?

Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Any advice on getting the dealer to see it and replace it would be helpful1!!!

KB
I just picked up my 2007 A4 last week. The second I got behind the wheel I noticed this distortion. Like the other posters, my wife doesn't notice it, but she is shorter and looks through a different area. My primary area of distortion is a bit below and to the left of the rear view mirror.

Anyway, I have an appointment for today and just thought I would chaeck the forum to see if others had experienced this.

BTW - I'm quite certain this is not me. I noticed it the second I got into the car. I also drew a cross-hatch pattern on white paper and looked at it through the A4 and my wife's Maxima. The Maxima is perfect.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 PM

I bought an 2006 A4 2.0 last year and passengers have noticed the windshield flaw that makes them car sick. It really does not bother me a great deal, but I am going to go into the dealership and see if they can replace it. Essentially, if you look at something through the windshield and move your head up and down, you see the object ripple as it passes through the flaw. In my car, shorter people are more affected because of the location. The car was purchased brand new and it's no good if your mother and girlfriend can't ride in the car without getting sick.

I appreciate the input from this forum. It was really helpful. Hopefully, my dealership will acknowlege the flaw and replace it.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

Hi folks...
I'm the original poster, and I did get that original windshield replaced under warranty (the salesman agreed immediately that the rippling in the glass was intolerable, and then the sales manager agreed to replace the windshield, thankfully).

It's so interesting to hear of how many other people have seen this. I've never seen such a serious defect in other vehicles, not even in any of the other cars in the Audi dealership.

Well, we're about to go through this again! Just had a stone hit the windshield yesterday, and it's a long crack already. I checked with insurance, the AIG people say the $500 deductible applies to the glass, so it won't be worth making a claim (and we have collision/comp/liability on that car!!!).

The dealership says it's $383 for the windshield, plus $180 installation. My question now is... do these dealerships simply outsource this work? Maybe some local installer does the work for them, and they just get a cut for forwarding the work. Perhaps I'm better off getting it done at a local installer, or perhaps I should buy the windshield on mail order and then pay to have it installed???

One thing's for sure: I'd really like to take a look at the new windshield before they install it!

Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear

Its depends on the dealership, if they have Glass there or not, Ive never heard of glass being covered by dedcutible that retarded. Iknow mine isnt i have knicks in my glass and i want to get new windshield but i dont qualitfy for a new one. I think you insurance company is cheaping you, i have Geico and im golden

Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 PM

I know of at least 3 B6's including mine with this problem. Search other forums and there are even more.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Brand New A4 has Distorted Windshield