Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Dust Question ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:48 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Brake Dust Question ??

https://www.audiforums.com/m_10849/tm.htm

Old 08-31-2006, 03:50 PM
2nd Gear

same problem for me, i read somewhere that the rear brakes do a lot of the intermediate braking... also i think the ESP does more controlling on the rear brakes but that would require some very aggressive driving

Old 08-31-2006, 04:01 PM
4th Gear

On most every car, the front brakes do 70-80% of the braking, while the rear don't do very much.

So, its perfectly normal for the front to have (a lot) more brake dust.

There are ceramic / lower dusting pads that may help.

But if your like me, I wash the thing every week or two anyway, so it doesn't usually get very bad, not really even noticable on mine.

If your a slacker and hardly ever wash it, then its gonna look like shiznit and bug the hell out of you.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

On most every car, the front brakes do 70-80% of the braking, while the rear don't do very much.

So, its perfectly normal for the front to have (a lot) more brake dust.

There are ceramic / lower dusting pads that may help.

this is true, everyone knows that front brakes do the majority of stopping plus the physics of it are obvious, the car noses forward, not back, but something else is going on because i have never had a car where the back rims ever get dirty, but this damn audi, the front stay clean and the back get dirty in two or three days at most!!!!!

it could be the intermediate braking or some one else mentioned ESP but i dont think that would be a big factor unless u were tracking... so what gives???? anyone else got some ideas why the back brakes dust more than the front?

Old 08-31-2006, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

If your a slacker and hardly ever wash it, then its gonna look like shiznit and bug the hell out of you.
at that rate so will the rest of your car!

Old 09-01-2006, 03:53 AM
1st Gear

I spent a week with ESP turned off - there was definitely less brake dust on the rears than normal. Looks like ESP likes to use the rear brakes for corrective action. Strange thing is I was driving normally, not aggresively...

Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Papachristou

this is true, everyone knows that front brakes do the majority of stopping plus the physics of it are obvious, the car noses forward, not back, but something else is going on because i have never had a car where the back rims ever get dirty, but this damn audi, the front stay clean and the back get dirty in two or three days at most!!!!!

it could be the intermediate braking or some one else mentioned ESP but i dont think that would be a big factor unless u were tracking... so what gives???? anyone else got some ideas why the back brakes dust more than the front?
Just a thought, maybe there are different pads on the front versus the back?

Could a previous owner maybe have changed the front pads with a lower dusting pad, and didn't change the rear, and thats why it seems the rear get more dust? Otherwise, I would say you have a brake problem. Maybe the rear calipers are not releaseing all the way and causing more dusting than normal. You may want to investigate, take it to a brake shop and have them give you a free estimate, to see if they find anything wrong with them.