Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost Leak Tests... Cars run great now!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default Boost Leak Tests... Cars run great now!

Well Chad (germancarmaniac) and I got up this morning at around 9:00am and headed right over to the shop, so we could run out boost leak tests and see what was causing our cars to feel so sluggish. So we pull in and get to work, headlight out, air box cover off, N75 valve disconnected, various vaccum lines disconnected, removal of the inlet pipe and DV hosing. We look at the set-up some more, and run out to Lowes to pick up some more coupler parts and some JB Weld. Get back to the shop, and we're golden, the parts worked perfectly. We JB Weld the fitting on for some added assurance. Hook everything up, run the boost leak test, and right away, we hear where it's coming from. So we get my car back to running status, drive over to Ace Hardware, get some PVC reinforced line cut, and replace the cracked vaccum line. Get everything back together, and fix a few small things... The car runs AMAZING now. No more rough idle, no more hissing at WOT, no more WOT just to get going... The car is MUCH more responsive, it runs incredibly smooth, and the brakes feel very strong (The Brake Booster was also logging vaccum off this boost line, so it caused the brakes to get weak due to the leak). After we saw this, we did Chad's car... And found NO leaks at all, the system was so strong, that it blew the coupler apart from the PVC connector. He played with his XS DV some and threw two more washers in, we got everything back together and went for a drive... DAMN, the car is now hitting 18psi, and is pulling stronger than ever. So it was a good day for the A4s.

So, now that you've heard the story, here are the pictures up:

The initial concept design... It had to be modified so it could fit.

The twins pulling in...
[

Pulled the headlight out...

Pulled the inlet hosing, DV, N75, and miscellanious lines and hosing out... This is what you need to pull out for the B6. For the B5 you can simply disconnect a few things, and stuff it down.

The new coupler and piping... Fit perfectly.

The tester hooked up...

The air compressor hooked up...

The leak...

The new hose...

Boost leaks = t3h ghey...

Everything back together, better than ever...

Everything's pretty much the same for a B5, but the B5 is actually easier, because you can leave the DV hooked up to the charge piping. On the B6 you have to disconnect the DV... Which isn't entirely bad, because all you have to do is cup your hand over the opening, and you can easily see where you're leaking boost then. A few hints if you're planning on doing this:

-Leave an entire day open for this procedure, you never know what may happen.
-Buy a load of small-medium-large coupler clamps. Stock, Audi uses crimp clamps, which is the most retarded design ever, and cannot be reused.
-Have another person help you out.
-Have extra money to buy varous things
-HAVE TOOLS!
-Have compressor with fitting.

Everything else is pretty basic and self explanitory. It was certainly an eventfull day.

I have videos and more pictures coming, I'm too Damn tired to do any more.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Boost Leak Tests... Cars run great now!

very cool, glad you found the leak : )

Old 01-15-2006, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear

Did mine today as well and found a good leak in one of the couplers in the FMIC. Only took a total of 2 hours though, i couldn't fix the leak but at least i know where its at. Mine is a little different, didn't have to remove the TIP, could have used a PVC endcap and put a NPT fitting or i used a car valve stem and connect it at the inlet pipe conection where it goes to the MAF sensor. This way the inlet pipe can be checked for leaks, and take the PCV valve off and plug the inlet pipe where the pcv valve goes. And then pull the TB hose off and put an endcap there.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 PM
5th Gear

My mechanic tested for leaks, found the leak (Same one as you, ZedEx), and fixed it... for 46 bucks CDN.

From looking at your cracked hose Zed... it may have already been replaced on your car. Maybe not though, but on my B5, that hose was bent at a 90 degree angle... the new hose is just straight, cut off of a roll of vacuum hose.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

yeah, we went to ACE and got them to cut off some pvc inforced hose to replace it with. Works great as a vacume line and ZEDex really didnt want to spend 40 dollars on a F**king hose from the stealership.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:54 AM
2nd Gear

That sounds solid trailboss, I wasn't sure if the stock inlet pipe would be stable enough to take the pressure, it never really crossed my mind to keep it on, I'll have to try that next time.

And yeah, the line is working, and I didn't feel like getting bent over today by the stealership, so I did a DIY replacement instead... Works just fine.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear

I used this for help, been working good for a year plus. AW boost leak tester

Old 01-16-2006, 02:03 AM
5th Gear

Yeah the hose that mine was replaced with cost like 1.35 or something... or even less than that, I can't remember. But it is vacuum hose.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:51 AM
Administrator

Your hose

now heres mine

not the same hose though

Old 01-16-2006, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

i was amazed at how much boost i was leaking from my dv. When i packed some washers in it, it was like driving a new car. My boost gauge i got for chritsmas was well worth the money in this case. 10psi vs.17psi woohoo

Quick Reply: Boost Leak Tests... Cars run great now!