Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost Leak Issues - w/pic

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Boost Leak Issues - w/pic

I found a boost leak that has been lurking in my engine bay since i got the car. Above the skidplate really close to the bumper is a pipe that connects from the turbo to the intercooler. The previous owner drilled holes into it to attach the lower bumper valance that was falling off so theres about 8-10 little holes in it where screws once were. Can i just JB weld the holes or even replace the pipe with some intercooler piping then attach it using strap mounts? Or should i get it from the dealer? TIA

Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Boost Leak Issues - w/pic

you should be able to use some ic piping

Old 01-03-2007, 05:14 AM

I would use this as an excuse to splurge on a custom FMIC.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 AM
1st Gear

Well, you can fix damn near anything with the correct prep work, JB weld and a dremmel...

SMo'

Old 01-03-2007, 05:32 AM
5th Gear

yea jb would work but i think i would reccomend gettin a FMIC it would probably be cheaper and easier than replacing that pipe... and you should go find the PO and smack them in the teeth for doing such a stupid thing

Old 01-04-2007, 02:30 AM
1st Gear

roughed it up with the dremel today and jb welded the holes and some patches to ensure they were strong. letting it sit overnight so it can cure and ill let you guys knowit works out. thanks in advance. and the stealership wanted to rape me on it. it has the front engine mount and some other vitals attached to it so if its the jb doesnt hold then FMIC i'll go.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Site Moderator

Id be careful using JB weld on it because if any flakes or pieces of it break off on the inside and get pushed/sucked through the intake and into the cylinder head that could be bad. Id get a real weld job done on it but i guess its too late for that since you already patched it up. Hope it works out for you though, you should notice a big difference if there were that many holes in it.. You were probably running rich due to the boost leak.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 AM
3rd Gear

If it were me i would have gone front mount, but i wouldnt worry to much about metal flakes. The way jb weld drys the likly hood of flakes is minamal. The engine would probably just spit them out the exhaust with little damage it there were any. Just to be sure i would give it the full 24 hour cure time.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:54 AM
1st Gear

It wont flake... If done correctly it will not flake, I have used it on intake runnerswhen porting to make therunners larger and never had a problem... JB weld hardens very smooth without any burrs at all...

SMo'

Old 01-04-2007, 03:00 AM
1st Gear

You did give it some surface area over the pipe and didnt just plug the holes right? You spread it out over the pipe with a little bit in the actual hole?

SMo'

Quick Reply: Boost Leak Issues - w/pic