Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boost leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear
Default boost leak?

ok so lately my car has been running kinda off. i thought maybe i had a boost leak because it didnt feel like my car was putting out the boost it should. i have an 01 audi a4 fwd 1.8t, and recently i looked under the hood and the three way tube right above my n75 valve had a little slice in it. i figured that wasnt good but maybe not my whole problem. i dont know what the tube is for all i know is it connects to the inlet pipe. well today i went to tape up the little gash for temporary use and i felt under the little pipe and have a huge hole in it that pretty much pores out air at idle. so im probably gonna have to go to the dealer to get this part right. and does anybody know if this is my boost problem or not.
thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 08:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: boost leak?

no need to go to dealer for that. try to take a pic or something. I am sure it is something easy to fix. leaks causes all kinf of problems on turbo cars.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:55 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like you found the probelm.

Why dont you temporarily patch it (tape?), and see if the problem is fixed?

ORIGINAL: EliteTuning1

ok so lately my car has been running kinda off. i thought maybe i had a boost leak because it didnt feel like my car was putting out the boost it should. i have an 01 audi a4 fwd 1.8t, and recently i looked under the hood and the three way tube right above my n75 valve had a little slice in it. i figured that wasnt good but maybe not my whole problem. i dont know what the tube is for all i know is it connects to the inlet pipe. well today i went to tape up the little gash for temporary use and i felt under the little pipe and have a huge hole in it that pretty much pores out air at idle. so im probably gonna have to go to the dealer to get this part right. and does anybody know if this is my boost problem or not.
thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

the hole is way to big to tape. believe me i tried. im gonna go to the dealer get the part and ill try to take a pic

Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear

i also had a boost leak. its still ther,e but it doesnt leak. i need a new pipe, but electrtical tape/ducttape and zipties.

tape the entire cut section of the tube to about 1/2 inch extra on each side. mape sure its thick and overlapped 2 or 3 times. then line the entire leak with zipties toughing eachother. make em tight so they dont leak, but dont make em tight enough to crimp the hose. so basically hand tighten em.

these should easily last until you get a new hose

i was running 17 psi before, then i peaked at 21. now i peak at like 18 again becuase the boost hurt my lousy stock dv...

Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 AM
2nd Gear

well i taped it a little and t seemed to help a bit but the hole is just so big it keeps letting air out so tomorrow im gonna take the tube off and do a strong tape job. see if this helps. i hope this is my problem

Old 10-10-2006, 02:56 AM
2nd Gear

Member the zip ties. they are what really hold it together. it keeps the tape form blowing off of a leak.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:42 AM
3rd Gear

cut the hose where it leaks. buy a hard plastic/metal pipe as same diameter as the hose then stick in there put 2 clambs around it. you are all set. it will prob. cost you less than $10 to fix.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear

thats a good idea but the only problem is that its a 3 way tube and the hole is right in the center where they all connect. ill post a picture tonight

Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 PM
3rd Gear

u mean something like this ?

Quick Reply: boost leak?