Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost Gauge & Turbo Timer (install for the B6)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Boost Gauge & Turbo Timer (install for the B6)

I want to buy and install myself a Boost Gauge and a Turbo Timer, but I have a set of questions for both items.
1. Which one to buy?
2. Difficulty of installation?
3. Any links to tutorials or explaination on how to do it?

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:35 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Boost Gauge & Turbo Timer (install for the B6)

There's a bunch of them here

Old 10-08-2004, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

I just purchased a vent mount gauge pod from Overspun (over at audizine) for $25. I'll let ya know how it turns out. His is by far the cheapest(in price) pod out there for a vent mount. I'm not sure if he does them for B6 audis..if the vent is similar I'm sure it'd fit..the most you might have to do is trim it a little. Of couse this all depends on if you want a vent mount gauge or not.

As for what gauge to get..that's really preference..they are pretty much all the same thing. I ordered an Autometer Carbon Fiber gauge from cardomain.com, but I wouldn't really recommend ordering from them. They have good prices but you'll end up waiting an extra week for them to ship it. Try www.a4stuff.com I would recommend against getting one of those gauge kits from like awe or ecs. They'll kill ya on the pod, but if you don't really care about the money go for it.

Turbo Timers, from what I've read, are an absolute P.I.T.A. to install. I was originally gonna get the GReddy Auto Turbo Timer but then I read a couple install guides and I was pretty turned off by it. The install seemed like a handful, but I also have a manual transmission..which would require me to leave the car in neutral whenever I turned it off. This has some safety and theft issues that I am iffy about.

Let us know how it goes!

-T

Old 10-08-2004, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, I have started researching on the links.

ANSWERS:
Boost Gauge: Installation (Very Easy) - Many options for gauges and mountings, for which I will have to decide later after seeing what is in the market. I like the style of Cobalt gauges, but they are expensive for a gauge.

Turbo Timer: Installation (Hard) - From what I have seen the most accepted turbo timer is the GReddy Auto Turbo Timer. I am planning to buy that one and pay someone to install it.

MORE QUESTIONS:
1. What makes a boost gauge expensive? Looking through the options I see a big range of pricing. Why? Is there anything to consider? From what came to mind is that they might be more expensive depending on the amount of boost they can read... not sure...
2. Anyone knows an Audi Tune Shop near Milwaukee or Chicago where I can install the turbo time? Can I go to any tune shop?

Old 10-08-2004, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear

1) How much boost shouldn't really matter in price. I'd personally get one that shows Vaccum and Press(Boost) levels. Some gauges come with warning lights and play-back memory...those are gonna be more expensive. Basically the ones that are interactive are gonna be more expensive than the gauges that just show you the boost/vac. Also, the materials that they are made of can change the price.

2) I know there is an APR representative in chicago www.goapr.com That would probably be your best bet for a tuner that could install a TT for ya. I think there is an audi tuner in Madison as well..but I can't seem to remember who it is.

-T

Old 10-08-2004, 10:56 PM
4th Gear

Turbo timers are pointless unless your running a differnt turbo or ALOT of boost.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:40 AM

Hey did you know you can buy a turbo timer with a boosdt gauge buit in it?