Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonnet / Hood Won't Open!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Bonnet / Hood Won't Open!

Hi,

Yes I didn't think forcing it would be good either.

I thought about taking the grille off, but i've got some weird grille (pic here - http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/7/4...40332997_o.jpg). That's when I first bought the car (off topic slightly but I did take the silly RS4 badge off!) right back on topic...

The grille is a mesh type and it's screwed from the inside so I can't take that off to get any more room. And because the mesh is tight I can't poke anything through it! I could try a mirror, good idea, gonna have to try and fathom out a way to get a small mirror in there.

When you pull the cable the bonnet pops like it normally would, so there's a slight gap for me to fiddle with.

If I could find an actual photo of a B5 with the catch attached to the bonnet, and then also the part that is attached to the bit above the radiator that would be very handy, so i'd know exactly what I'm trying to do even if i can't see it!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

Are you sure that grille is screwed in because mine has clips and if you pull it evenly it pops right out? Once you got it off you can see a lot better. Now if you wanted to break anything I would suggest that grille, better that than the hood or latch, just my take.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

Are you saying my grille is crap? lol heh yea, good idea, ok i'll try and pop it out, should be able to see a lot better then. Guess if i do break the grille it's no big deal, thanks for your advice.

Cheers.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Aha! It opended! Randomly though it did it by itself!

I was with my mate and I said do me a favour... 'while I pull the cable lever inside the car you pull on the grille lever', I showed him how the pull the grille level and it actually opened and I was like whaaat, i've been trying for ages to get that open!

The mechanism was very seized up, so a bit of spray grease later and the action is good as new!

Cheers for all your suggestions.

Here is an updated diagram (as the other one I drew on was incorrect)... for anyone who will have this problem in the future!

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/7/4...40564621_o.jpg

Firstly the Orange coloured part is to do with the cable release mechanism (not the manual lever release mechanism).

1. Manual lever is pulled upwards (Red).
2. This then makes the link plate (Blue) move left.
3. The manual release catch (Green) then moves to the right and unhooks itself from the car body.

If you look at the diagram where the Green catch is nearly touching the Blue link plate (not where it's attached with the spring), that hook bit there (the short left side) is the part that releases, not the longer right side part as you may first think.

Hope this helps anyone who has this issue!

Justin.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM

well I love all the bonny colores and glad you got it sorted

Old 04-07-2007, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

ive been struggling with my hood latch now for about 3 hours, cant get it to open for anything

Old 04-07-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Hi,

I basicallly persisted with mine by pulling on the manual lever while lifting the bonnet a bit. Don't know if it worked on mine because I ran the car and then tried, i.e. warming up the engine and possibly warming the joint / linkage up a bit which made it move a bit more.

You could try spraying spray grease up through the hole where the lever pokes out from. As I did that once I had the bonnet open and now it wokrs perfect.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM

Yes...it works for me too...same problem....you need 2 people ..one to pull the cable the other to lift the clasp on the bonnet....