Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Blown Engine!

This concerns me greatly as well. I just bought my 99.5 A4 2.8L, and the idea of the engine blowing (I have 66k miles on it), REALLY disturbs me. I had the car checked out by an Audi dealership prior to buying it, but apparently you can't trust 'em for this problem.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

Since I bought my car used then there is no guarantee as to how well the oil was changed before. If I were to put in those oil additives would that break up the sludge on the uptake screen w/ out then clogging up the oil pump? Or spending $250 on an oil pump now sounds better than $2500 on a new motor later.
ORIGINAL: david9999

The problem is not the oil pump, but use of inferior oil and prolonged mileage between oil changes resulting in sludge that clogs the uptake screen. Change your oil every 5K, use full synthetic and use the larger oil filter and you will be fine.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Raddue

This concerns me greatly as well. I just bought my 99.5 A4 2.8L, and the idea of the engine blowing (I have 66k miles on it), REALLY disturbs me. I had the car checked out by an Audi dealership prior to buying it, but apparently you can't trust 'em for this problem.
To my knowlege there has been no problem with the 2.8s concerning engine failure you have nothing to worry about just change your oil

Old 11-26-2005, 05:21 AM
1st Gear

Mine is a 1.8T. The independant engineers report suggested nothing could have been spotted or prevented the engine failure it was just bad luck. The piston ring went and the rest is history...

Old 11-26-2005, 05:30 AM

ORIGINAL: AudiTech04

To my knowlege there has been no problem with the 2.8s concerning engine failure you have nothing to worry about just change your oil
Yeah its always been the 1.8T's with the oil sludge issues leading to engine failure.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:40 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for the prompt answers!

Old 11-26-2005, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

lol everyones scared

Old 11-26-2005, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

the problem only relates to 1.8T's new or old. ive only been working for audi 4 months and have seen 3 motors and 4 sludge jobs done already. myself having to put one motor and do 1 sludge job. the oilpump is not the only affected part of the motor. the TSB states to check cam bearings, if no wear is found you change suction jet pump a bunch of crankcase hoses, turbo oil lines, pump etc. if there is one or more cam bearings damaged the car gets a new motor. if the customer has had documented oil changes at the dealer every 10k they get a new motor sludge job etc. covered under warranty. we as a shop have been using synthetic 5w40 for all our 1.8's even if its a coupon 20 dollar oil change. all of the vehicles we've had problems with were ones not from our dealership or a customer who just refused to get there oil changed on a regular interval. ive have a sludge job on a 03 A4 with only 47k on it. if you get your oil changed by the dealer just insist they use synthetic oil or bring your own oil with you. we have no problem using customers oil.

Old 11-27-2005, 03:20 AM

did audi pick up the tab?

Old 11-27-2005, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

Another thing that you have to worry about with the 1.8t is if your oil light turns on you cut the car. There is an oil line that runs right above the turbo and its pretty poorly placed considering the heat right there. It will sludge up sometimes and block the line. I re-routed this one on my audi around the front because I talked to a guy who had his motor blow because of that. If your pump consistantly gets sludge it from this line that will cause it to lock up(obviously). If audi is particular about running synthetic it should be stated somewhere.

Quick Reply: Blown Engine!