Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:04 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Blow off valve

ORIGINAL: nickellis14

aaaaaaaaaand one more thing. a civic and a supra...ummm yeah...not even CLOSE to the same thing. not even in the same ballpark. not even in the same state. just look at the price tags. very mature with the name calling though. what are you 12?
god youre so stupid....oops another name...too bad for you. youre the moron that brought up the civic, which doesnt even have a turbo, which is why youre stupid. you said flat out that BOV's make cars sound like ricers, so i called out your blanket statement. you seem to have this idea in your head that aBOV sound is a giveaway of a ricer, which is wrong,and makes you ignorant. i never claimed anything i said to be correct, andbecause of your handicap i will say again, i asked for it be corrected if it was in correct. did you read your first post, there was nothing technical about it, i disagreed with you, chill out sally. then you started to ramble like the simple person you are. i may not know as much aboutthese cars as you, but i am smarter than you, and i can prove you wrong all day

next question

Old 05-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm make believe

"being able to sustain higher boost for a larger range of RPM's gives you better performance thats why people should upgrade their DV's, not for a dumb f-ing noise!"

Thats what you said. A dv/bov will either hold or leak at any rpm at a certian psi. sustaining the boost is done by boost control (wastegate/boost controller), not a dv/bov. Learn turbo parts before making stupid statements and then telling others that their statements are "not technically valid". BTW, a stock 710 will hold chipped pressure fine (in/excluding the 710n), its them wearing out that causes the problems.

You are right to your opionion, but when you start saying things that are so for off is just wrong.

And for you last point, isnt a supra a turbo car from ummm japan? So if someone throws on a bov on a supra is thatconsidered "rice" also? If not, there is nothing differnt from a car that still sells for $20k for a 10year old car with many miles on it..

Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

soooooo what have you proven me wrong about?? that civics don't have turbos?? ok...you're right a stock civic does not have a turbo...you're right. but I think we've all seen civic with turbos in them haven't we?? no one is saying its a giveaway of a ricer. what is a "giveaway of a ricer" anyway?? what does that evenmean?? my personal opinon is that getting a BOV for noise is dumb. (i know, ive said that 300 times, but apparently its not getting across. ITS AN OPINION! YOU DONT HAVE TO AGREE!!!!) I'm glad you think you're smarter than me. you have self confidence, thats good. but just so you know, anyone whosays they're smart, generallyisn't. I believe it was einstein who said "my only wisdom is my knowledge of my own ignorance." you smarter than him? mmm...doubt it. sooooooo who's stupid now smart guy...go ahead, spout out some SAT scores and tell me your IQ....that will REALLY impress me let me tell ya. but based on your grammer and spelling, and the fact that you "prove people wrong" by calling them stupid....yeah...I'm thinkin you're no rocket scientist....

sooo wait, they "hold chipped pressure fine" but they wear out....ummm....probably from all of that chipped pressure huh?? because I don't think they just wear out on you when your car is stock do they...soooooooo then they dont "work just fine" do they....being that you HAVE TO REPLACE THEM!!! right?? right??? please don't lecture me. I know what I'm talking about.

ok, a supra is not a ricer. a supra is a straigh six twin turbo...with over 300hp stock....not a ricer. read the previous post. thanks.

"If not, there is nothing differnt from a car that still sells for $20k for a 10year old car with many miles on it.."
umm....what does that mean?? that statement makes no sense.

you guys done yet?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

oh, and FYI, a supra comes with a BOV stock....you don't need to put one in....

Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM

because I don't think they just wear out on you when your car is stock do they...
Yes, they do. My stock 710 did, at least.
soooooooo then they dont "work just fine" do they....being that you HAVE TO REPLACE THEM!!! right?? right???
My 710n went fine over a year. I only replaced it because I got good deal on Forge. I'd do 710n all day long. At $30 a pop, you can replace them many times before you're even at the cost of a billet DV.
ok, a supra is not a ricer. a supra is a straigh six twin turbo...with over 300hp stock....not a ricer. read the previous post. thanks.
What is a "ricer"? I still can't figure this out on this forum. It only seems to be tossed about when someone doesn't like something. But, I would've thought "ricer" is a Japanese modded car. Which a Supra would be. But I guess if it's over the hp limit, it is no longer one? Which would still not be correct as I've seen a 700hp turbo Civic. Would that be a Ricer? It would kick most car's ***.... but it's still a Civic.

Not trying to enter the pissing match... just trying to figure out why a lot of people around here are so uptight to defend themselves. Off to the ricer, I mean, nicer forums I go...

Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

did your stock one wear out when your car was stock?? un modded from the factory, you replace the DV in your car because it wore out?

a ricer is a cheap *** car that is "built for performance". a civic. a neon. a cobalt. a focus. ricer ricer ricer ricer. my definition. feel free to disagree.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Site Moderator

My turn. Keep in mind that I'm going into detail not to insult anyone, but so everyone can follow along and get a better understanding.

-a BOV more than likely WILL hinder performance
Unless there's a gaping hole or it's set incorrectly, it won't. It has very little to do with the actual engine performance. There ar 2 inlets for every dv/bov, air pressure from the manifold and air pressure from the charge pipe between the turbo and throttle body. Only when there the set pressure differential is exceded, will the dv/bov open. Causing the excess pressure to either vent to the atmosphere (bov) or get recirculated into the intake prior to the turbo.

The problem pre-00 A4's had with bov's is because the ecu didn't know that the air the bov was dumping wasn't being recirculated into the inlet. This is because the dv sends the vented air into the turbo inlet after the maf sensor. Since the ecu doesn't know that the air is being vented instead of being recirculated, it sends the extra fuel to account for the air it think's it vented to the turbo inlet. The excess fuel causes a richer air mixture (not a significant amout) which over the course of time can foul oxygen sensors and damage catalytic converters. Keep in mind it does this every time you let off the gas, then think about how many time you let off the gas when you're driving to work.

Post 00 don't have this issue since they have a MAP sensor after the dv/bov, which tells the ecu that there isn't as mich airflow. the ecu counteracts this by sending less fuel to match the shortage of air.

-being able to sustain higher boost for a larger range of RPM's gives you better performance thats why people should upgrade their DV's
DV's do not increase anything. They're there to release excess air pressure. That's it.

People should upgrade their dv's if their's rips or they're going to be pushing more boost, which will eventually cause the stock dv to rip.

The rest of it is just opinion. If someone feels like hearing the pffsh sound, let them be. Who cares if they're happy doing what they want to their car. It's no reason to get all bothered about.

Here's a quick vid.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

"People should upgrade their dv's if their's rips or they're going to be pushing more boost, which will eventually cause the stock dv to rip."
I'm sorry if my previous statment was unclear. I understand that DVs do not create or increase boost in anyway. however, if you are going to significantly increase your boost, you need a new one, as you say here. my point was, getting one to make noise is lame. getting one because you're boosting your car to the extent that you need it, is not.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm make believe

sooo wait, they "hold chipped pressure fine" but they wear out....ummm....probably from all of that chipped pressure huh?? because I don't think they just wear out on you when your car is stock do they...soooooooo then they dont "work just fine" do they....being that you HAVE TO REPLACE THEM!!! right?? right??? please don't lecture me. I know what I'm talking about. - Plenty of people have had dv's go bad on stock boost levels, ALL diaphram dv's will go bad....PERIOD, regaurdless of pressure. Most will change it long before they go bad. But if you read what it said, it says it HOLDS pressure fine, not that it LAST FOREVER. One of the reasons they wear out because of the sh1ty location, right after the turbo, pre-ic. Its the increase in HEAT that damages the valve more than the PRESSURE.

ok, a supra is not a ricer. a supra is a straigh six twin turbo...with over 300hp stock....not a ricer. read the previous post. thanks. - But its a turbo car, from japan, and probably will have a bov on it.

"If not, there is nothing differnt from a car that still sells for $20k for a 10year old car with many miles on it.."
umm....what does that mean?? that statement makes no sense. Youtalked about people spending high amounts of money ($30k)for a car and making it sound like a $13k honda. I was expressing that the value for the supra STILL hasnt fallen in 10 YEARS!!

you guys done yet? - You stop trying to bash others with ignorance and people will leave you alone

Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Site Moderator

did your stock one wear out when your car was stock?? un modded from the factory, you replace the DV in your car because it wore out?

a ricer is a cheap *** car that is "built for performance". a civic. a neon. a cobalt. a focus. ricer ricer ricer ricer. my definition. feel free to disagree.
The stock 710's wear out all the time. They're made with a rubber diaphragm. Over time they tear.

IMO- Rice= all show, no go.

Quick Reply: Blow off valve