Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A better air box mod??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:08 PM
3rd Gear
Default A better air box mod??

Today I took my box apart again to find a way to get more COLD air in and this is what I came up with...
First I drilled alot of 5/8's holes in the fender liner where I could see the stock foam had rubbed it clean over the years.

Then I cut the bottom of the box along the inside of the foam leaving the foam intact. This will alow the the box to only draw air through the fender and the factory ram through the grill.

You can see it fits snug around the holes allowing it to only draw cold air.

These are the holes on the fender side.

This mod was way better than the first air box mod I did I can feel and hear the difference the DV sounds very loud and the responce is 10X better than stock trust me. This mod is worth all the work for the throttle response alone.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A better air box mod??

Looks good but hopefuly you don't get any water sucked up there!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:14 PM
3rd Gear

I drilled one very small hole in the bottom of the box just incase, but the K&N filter is 6' up from the holes so I don't think much/any will be able to get in.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 PM
2nd Gear

I've got my old stock airbox if you wanna try something new? Still have it in the garage from the Carbonio install...

Your's looks like a good idea.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 AM
2nd Gear

sweet..i just bought a used airbox to try a new mod..i think ill do this one..

my only concern also is water or foreign object.. i think i am going to ge a small section of screen from home depot and attach it to the filter box..some water / dirt / foreign objects out of there...

nice idea

Old 04-22-2006, 01:15 PM
2nd Gear

damn, nice....but water, yeah...a concern only if you go through a puddle. of course if you post about your car getting hydrolocked....

Old 04-22-2006, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks guys it really did make a difference! A4theQuattro let me know what you do to your box I'm sure a screen will help. I don't think it will be an issue tho because of how high up the filter is, altho I'll bet the bottom of the box might collect some stuff over time.

**TEST**
Today I ran into some light showers on my way home from bidding a job, I pulled over as soon as it cleared (a little nervous at this point) and the tire side of the fender liner was soaked. When I got home I pulled the filter to find no water in the box!!! Now either the small drain hole worked or the water never got in, but the K&N was dry as a bone!!!

Old 04-22-2006, 05:26 PM

its a good mod been done on many vauxhalls in the UK "called a three pipe mod", the air box is cleared of any obstruction then instead of drilling many holes a single larger pipe is fed to a cool area "safe from water/debris ingress behind the head lights for instance" then a flat panel filter is used like K&N

Old 06-10-2006, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

COOL~ Very good idea... I was considering this one, except.... the water issue...
Yea, just running through light showers and thin layer of moisture may not be a problem,
but when you hit deeper puddles or have to go through a flooded area, this may be a bad idea...
but very cool mod, good looks on the post!

Old 06-10-2006, 10:41 PM
5th Gear

nope therer is no prob with deep water either and i took way less caution then beer mod or any of the other guys, all i did was cut the huge hole in the box and cut an equally huge hole in the fenter liner, no screen, no nothing just a big hole and I have seriously tried to get the filter wet and it wont happen... nothing to worry about at all
ORIGINAL: hoonee46

COOL~ Very good idea... I was considering this one, except.... the water issue...
Yea, just running through light showers and thin layer of moisture may not be a problem,
but when you hit deeper puddles or have to go through a flooded area, this may be a bad idea...
but very cool mod, good looks on the post!