Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best turbo setup for long term daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Best turbo setup for long term daily driver

I was very fortunate enough to receive my 2000 Audi A4 1.8Tqm as a brithday gift from my parents a couple years ago. With my plans for graduate school after college, this will be my only car until I establish some sort of career and buy my own. So far I have done moderate upgrades to the car, not really putting any significant stress on the engine. I've been looking to upgrade the turbo to something larger in the near future and am wondering what is the best setup for a car that needs to last many years to come. It seems that the BT kits out there are rather fidgety (esp for DBW) and I'm worried that running something that large will shorten the engine life considerably. I can't seem to find a solid chip for a 2000 A4 running a BT. It seems like 034efi is a solid performer, but I've only seen people with considerable knowledge in tuning run the setup so I find it a bit intimidating.

In short, what is the best route for me to go based on these points:

-The car needs to last awhile as a daily driver
-I have little knowledge in enginge tuning so I don't feel too comfortable fine tuning anything by myself (this may change I suppose as I hang around the forums more)
-I don't track my car, but am considering autox
-I WANNA GO FAST! (well, I'm trying to achieve low 5 second or better 0-60 acceleration)

From the research I've done, it seems like a K04 turbo with J31 chip is a nice option. However, with the increasing number of people throwing in GT28RS and GT2871 turbos, I'd like another opinion.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 08-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Default RE: Best turbo setup for long term daily driver

If you want power switch to a t28 or for some real horses a t30. they are larger than the k04 a produce a bigger load. but as far as reliability that depends on mantinence and how hard you push it. If you do everything right that car could last another 10 years with no problems

Old 08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
5th Gear

The k04 with j31 is a good set up but you will want more, go with a gt2871r from renn-art and i believe unitronics will custome tune what you want and it should be a strong runner while remaining reliable as a DD

Old 08-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Zombie Defense Force

ko4 is more relaible becuase the larger you go the chances of fvcking something up skyrockets

Old 08-24-2006, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

since it's a daily driver, I'm looking for fast acceleration, I don't care too much aobut top-end. I undesrtand that the BT produces alot more horsepower, but it also increases lag. Would the 0-60 of a BT still be faster than a K04 on J31?

Old 08-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Zombie Defense Force

well if you have anti lag on a bt you will destroy all. mt t3t4 could beat a k04 in 0-60 im sure but i never tested it.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

dont focus on a 0-60 time there is so many variables for that Example: weather cond. tires, hot or cold, traction. 0-60 is so so inaccurate

Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

KO4 will spool faster than almost any turbo that is bigger, smaller the turbo faster the spool. KO4 j31 would be a killer mod for you/DD....

Old 08-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeff

ko4 is more relaible becuase the larger you go the chances of fvcking something up skyrockets
Exactly. Go K04.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

I say K04 or a PES kit. K04 is alot cheaper.

Quick Reply: Best turbo setup for long term daily driver