Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belly pan???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Default RE: belly pan???

personal choice I think but they could have done better for maintenance ( I still have mine on but have done minor modifications to help the speed of service

Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
3rd Gear

come on guys.... it's not a special thing that protect you from everthing. it's just a plastic. a huge rock or anything will not stop when its hit that plastic. if there is something on the road to break your oil pan, it will break it with or without that plastic.

it's only good for keep it clean thats all. accually my bottom engine bay is cleaner without it

Old 07-18-2007, 03:11 PM

^^ correct ^^

Old 07-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Site Moderator

It protects your engine bay from getting water in it. Thats the main thing that is important imo. There are at least 2 electrical grounds very close to the bottom of the car that if wet can cause problems. Also your belts are low to the ground and shouldnt get wet. There are lots of things water can get to and corrode/destroy up in there. If you compare the bottom of the engine bay of an A4 to any other car, you can see how it is much more exposed with open spaces, etc. My Maxima doesnt have a belly pan, but at the same time, there arent as many low/open spaces for the elements to get to.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM

but consider this why put wind breakers on the mirrors/ why streamline the car for smoother sound effects and the underside is just as important ( even though I riped mine off ) because it impended the time to service my motor but then im an over the top service guy

Old 07-19-2007, 04:29 AM
1st Gear

I have mine on cuz im lowered and i touch the ground every once and awhile and i am thnkful that i have it. it is seriously like maybe 7 little screws that you can do with your hand(no screw driver)to get it off and on. its really easy and for people to complain about it is kinda sad. Sorry it is. it may make your oil change 5-10 minutes longer if you have never taken it off before. i would get one just because.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 AM

Don't know if design is the same for B5, but on B6, I've done extensive logging with and without it just to see, and it for sure has benefits other than rodent control and asthetics. All temps from coolant to IAT to oil were decreased considerably with the belly pan ON. It helps suck air through IC and A/C and Rad cores. It helps prevent turbulant air from not being efficient in the bay.
This, however, was done with an FMIC. Not sure if applies to a stock SMIC. But nonetheless, if I break a belly pan, I am getting a new one. The logs were too compelling.
[align=left] [/align]