Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery guarantee

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:35 AM
Default Battery guarantee

Hello everyone. The battery on my new and beautiful 96 A4 died yesterday. Called AAA, got the car jump-started and the battery checked. Diagnosis: replace broken battery (bad cell). I still have the receipt of the previous owner's purchase in Sears, which was just three months ago. While reading the guarantee details, I noticed that the replacement policy is for the original purchaser only. So my obvious question is, if I go tomorrow to Sears and show them the original receipt, will they be willing to replace to battery? Has anyone faced a similar situation before? Hoping not be out of $130 tomorrow!!!! By the way, AAA offered to replace the battery on site with a three-year guarantee. Any thoughts about the quality of their batteries?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Default RE: Battery guarantee

Just go into the store and act liek you bought the battery

Old 08-28-2006, 02:58 AM

The only problem is that the previous owner was a woman! Maybe I'll just say she's my mom!

Update: went to Sears, claimed that my mom bought my battery and got free service! Now for the weird thing: they recharged the battery, did a couple of tests and found the battery to be perfect. The alternator was working well too. They said that probably I just left a light on, which caused the drained battery. So why would AAA claim that the battery had a bad cell? Were these bastards just trying to sell me a $130 battery and take away my perfectly good battery "for disposal"? [:@] I will certainly call and tell them that I think they were trying to screw me. Be warned!

Old 08-29-2006, 01:09 AM

Bump, since my edit didn't bump my message... sorry.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:59 AM
1st Gear

Or Sears may not want to replace your battery because it eats into their bottom line, hard to say. Give it a week or two and I bet you have a good answer. If it keeps working AAA needs to be smacked, if you need a jump in the next couple weeks its all on Sears.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:29 AM

True, but Sears gave me the print out of the test, and everything reads "GOOD" (yes, I was watching through a window and saw that it was my battery the one that they were testing). In any case, I'll take your advice and wait for a couple of weeks to see how everything turns out.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, watching them test it DOES lend some credibility to their statement. That being said I was a manager at Best Buy for a couple years.... and I wouldn't put it past a retailer to "doctor" test results to save money on warantee work.