Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it bad to have two new tires on the front and two old in the back of a Quattro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Is it bad to have two new tires on the front and two old in the back of a Quattro?

My B5 is a Quattro. I just recently replaced the front tires with brand new ones and left the back ones which have about 2.5k miles left on em, is this a good idea? If its damaging or anything like that I'd like to know how so. Thanks guys

Last edited by TheAudi; 05-27-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

It fine on a quattro cause the tires are all independent of each other. So no worries on tires qs long as they are all the same size.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

It is not fine on a quattro as all the tires are not independant of each other. I believe the tread depth is supposed to be no more than 4/32nds difference or you will start to damage the differentials.

Check with the guys at tirerack (Miles I think is his name) as they answered this question for me when I was looking at new tires.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Administrator

The overall height difference can't be more than 3% between any of the four tires, or the center diff will become unhappy. Pop off one of the new tires and one of the old ones, measure their circumference, calculate the diameter of each. If they're more than 3% apart you're going to want to buy two more tires.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM
1st Gear

Thanks. So bad idea then. But that one guy in here said no worries cause the wheels are independent of each other. He's wrong right?

Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheAudi
Thanks. So bad idea then. But that one guy in here said no worries cause the wheels are independent of each other. He's wrong right?
Well sorta. Your car has a center Torsen diff that divides power between the front two wheels and the back two wheels. There's also a rear diff that does the same thing between the two rear wheels. He's wrong in that this allows you to run whatever size tires you want with no impact on the drive line. By running tires with drastically different overall diameters, you're going to put a lot of stress on the CV joints and differentials and something is going to break.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 PM
1st Gear
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

I never said it was ok to mix up tire sizes, but having new on the front and older on the rear will not make a big enough to damage anything. I have been doing so on my S4 for a few months. I would not do it to my car if I honestly thought it would mess up my trans or diffs. Also I put between 500 and a 1000 miles a week on my car driving to my job. So since I switched out the tires I have probably drove atleast 10,000 miles like this with no problems.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear

The Tirerack information shows an example of 2/32 differences and the negative effect it has. Then you get to the bottom and Audi says up to 4/32 difference is fine. I replaced the rears on my car and kept the fronts. Been that way for just over a year now. I just order two new tires to replace the fronts. Tread depth difference will be less than 1/32 of an inch. Same exact tire by the way. I would not mix and match tires brands and not sizes.

I didn't know you could shave street tires. I have shaved race tires before and regrooved truck tires. Learned something new today.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rhodes991
I didn't know you could shave street tires. I have shaved race tires before and regrooved truck tires. Learned something new today.
I always hated shaving tires. Quite a messy job. I believe you can order them from tire rack shaved to your specs for situations just like this.

Quick Reply: Is it bad to have two new tires on the front and two old in the back of a Quattro?