Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B6 Brake light bulb replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Default B6 Brake light bulb replacement question

I've done extensive searching, but can't seem to find a simple solution to this problem: I'm trying to replace a brake light bulb, and so far, I've popped open the felt cap over the screw for the tail light assembly, and when I unscrew it, nothing happens...am I supposed to pop out the assembly? Does the plastic bolt with the internal-hexagon shape that surrounds the screw need to come off? I assume that the red plastic ring found underneath the felt cap on the right side in the trunk is the manual gas cap override and has nothing to do with removing the tail light assembly.
I have a replacement bulb, I just don't know how to (safely) access the tail light!!!!

HELP...

Old 05-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Default RE: B6 Brake light bulb replacement question

Removing and installing rear light and bulb carrier (Saloon)

Removing

Switch off ignition and take out ignition key.

Turn light switch to position “0”.

Fold pre-punched area -1- of luggage compartment lining forwards.

Remove bolt -3-.

Swivel rear light outwards, and at the same time disengage retaining pins from body.

Unplug electrical connector at bulb carrier.

Press retaining clips together -arrows- and take bulb carrier out of rear light.

Turn bulbs to remove them from their holders.

Installing

Installation is carried out in the reverse order; note the following:
Note[/align]

Ensure that seal between body and rear light housing seals completely.

Fit rear light in position on body and press retaining pins into holes.

Tighten bolt -3-.
Note[/align]

After unfastening nut -2-, rear light can be aligned with body contours (uniform gap widths).

Tightening torques

Component
Nm

Nut for rear light to body

Rear light to body

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/C1281B6D3AA14ED0B95AE4C32D0676E8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/55D0A44F943A4FFC99E90BAE092238AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2007, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the quick response!!! I'm going to go try it out right now!

I'm a bit confused by the "nut" = -2- and how it is only mentioned in the reinstallation process...but I'm sure it will all make sense. My problem is that to "remove bolt -3-" I need to get some needlenose pliers or a magnetic screwdriver, because that bolt doesn't want to come out easily.

I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:46 PM

Well, that did it! Turns out that the bolt (actually a screw) just needed some extra care to remove it. Once I did that, the tail light pulled right off, and changing the bulb was a cinch! The diagrams were a big help. Thank you!

Old 07-04-2007, 06:26 PM

i have simular problem, i took out the tail light replaced bulb put it back together and nothing changed. does anyone know if the 2 points on the bottom of the bulb have to be touching or just one?

thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 01:21 PM

@021.8tquat -- I'm wondering if you may have the wrong type of light bulb. I know I went through a few before finding the right one for the right light. Some have two points, some only have one. Also, some have different points on the sides where they need to fit into the hole (yeah, I said it.) Anyway, they're only about $2.00 each set, so buy a few different ones. I suggest having someone else step on your breaks while you see exactly which light is out. Take off the holster, take the burnt out light out, and take it into the store with you. Get exactly what you're looking for and replace. Make sure the points on the side line up too! Sorry this is so long for such an easy reponse, but I went through the same s*it the first time I changed a bulb in my '02 A4. Second time took me less than five minutes and I save $80 each time! Best of luck.